• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Duloxetine/Cymbalta for fibromyalgic pain….

barbc56

@duncan

I think you are being a bit defensive which is understandable. But let me tell you, because of the amount of daily pain I experience, I don't care if it's an AD, if it works.

We can’t just ignore the evidence because we don't like that ADs are associated with depression.

Maybe discussion like this will help with perceptions that ADs can be used for pain without depression. Somewhat like discussion about the PACE trial may help the perception that all we need is exercise.

I would hope that any study would make it clear what the medication is treating.

Maybe this only applies in a perfect world but not talking about it doesn't make the problem go away.

Barb

duncan

@barbc56 , I hear you. I agree.

If a drug helps, a drug helps.

This is not what I take issue with. I have issue with a takeaway of the article. I take issue with what for me was inadvertently promoted.

If you craft an article or paper or press release, you need to be aware of the statements it makes, both overt and nuanced. If you put together something that conveys that which you did not intend, or worse, that which runs counter to your overall goal, then you've a problem.

I was responsible for overseeing all promotional material that emanated from my company. Any piece that was counter to the objectives of the organization, I either sanitized, re-wrote, or deep-sixed.

I would not have let this article out of the door, not because of the message that Cymbalta may help a portion of our community, but because of the unintended baggage that comes with the overt depression emphasis.

I would expect that kind of misstep from someone unfamiliar with the problems confronting this community, but not from an advocate. This is the concern that I was addressing.

Last edited: