1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dry hands, skin cracking on fingers

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by rosie26, Jul 9, 2014.

1. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Thanks @Hip

It's interesting you mention 3% hydrogen peroxide. As just last week while I was out one morning having a coffee at a café ( my keeping sane initiative) A man sat near me and starting chatting to me. He was familiar with ME via a family member.
    He mentioned to me that 3% hydrogen peroxide 2ml mixed with half a cup of water "gargled" NOT SWALLOWED fixed a flu pretty quick. I don't know how true that is. He may have meant a sore throat.

I will consider what you said, thanks Hip. I will definitely get some hydrogen peroxide. My problem all the way through ME is that I don't have the money to try lots of things ugh.

merylg likes this.
  2. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Lol. Hopefully you won't need to frighten away any intruders.

I just realized that there's a natural soap called Simple. Duh. What I was trying to say is that the Dawn I use is labelled Simple. I looked and it's actually still Dawn but the word Simply is on the front where it also states that it's not concentrated.

I like Alaffia and Earth Friendly almond dish soap for bathing. But at 58 my skin is needing external oils.

Tc .. x

rosie26 likes this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Avoiding anything with "Sodium (Lauryl, etc) Sulfate" helps a lot for me. It's usually in liquid soaps, shampoos, shower gels, etc. But solid soaps don't have it, and some good brands don't use it in liquid soaps.

Some brands won't include "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate", but will have a different "Sodium _____ Sulfate" which is the same damned thing, just from a different source.

xchocoholic and rosie26 like this.
  4. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Do you get this too Valentijn ? I checked the one I am using at the moment and it does have Sodium Laureth Sulfate in it. I'd forgotten what the culprits were in soaps.

I just thought I might be able to find a good soap by googling :D and looking at all the labels.

5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I get rashes on the back of my hands, and inflamed and broken skin. It also aggravates my scalp if I use it in a shampoo.

My favorite brand of bath products is Hugo Naturals - very gentle, nice smelling, and the coconut shampoo and conditioner are perfect for my hair :angel: But it's only sold in the US, so we either bring a bunch back with us after visiting family, or order a bunch from Vitacost and pay a lot to have it slowly shipped to Europe, plus the customs fee after it arrives.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ also rates various soaps and cosmetics based on their ingredients. Lower ratings are best. Maybe there's something listed there which is available closer to home :D

rosie26 likes this.
  6. SeaShell

SeaShell Senior Member

Valentijn and rosie26 like this.
  7. SeaShell

SeaShell Senior Member

@rosie26 I used to have the problem with my hands too, especially during winter. The tips of the fingers go numb. This could be related to the auto-immune condition Raynaud's. The blood circulation is affected, hence the necessity to keep oneself warm, including hands and feet. If the circulation is badly affected it can result in skin eruptions.

I didn't take any medicines, just modified my diet, supplements and drinking enough water.

To deal with the issue of washing dishes: hypoallergenic gloves and the Dishmatique Liquid Dish Brush. At the time I had the rash and skin issues, I would get a larger size of gloves and wear white cotton gloves under as double protection. I"d also use cotton gloves under my woollen gloves because the skin was so sensitive.

rosie26 likes this.
  8. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Thanks Seashell. I used to think many years ago that it was contact dermatitis but now since having ME It feels more immune related. Luckily it does go away for months on end but when it does come back it can go on for a while. Did you find in the summer months it's more of an itchy irritated inflammation whereas in the winter it is non-itchy?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  9. SeaShell

SeaShell Senior Member

Is this an issue only with your hands or does it get to other parts of your body?

Eczema is also auto immune and generally having one auto immune can set off others because the body is in a weakened state. Years ago, when I had the problem, I was struggling with several conditions.

I've focussed on cleaning up my diet and eliminating toxins. Also taking supplements. As long as I keep this up, I don't have major skin issues. Keeping inflammation under control helps.

rosie26 likes this.
  10. silverseas2014

silverseas2014

Southwest
    I also do the white cotton gloves at night thing. The best healing lotion I've found is Lansinoh---it's used for breastfeeding moms, but works great to heal dried cracked hands. So, I rub the Lansinoh lotion (a tiny bit goes a long way) on my hands and then put the gloves, go to sleep, wake up with lovely smooth, soft hands.

xchocoholic and rosie26 like this.
  11. JAM

JAM Jill

Black seed oil has done wonders for my skin. I take one capsule a day, and use it topically if my skin starts to peel. Kokum oil is also really good. I can't have any artificial fragrances near me, so I make my own lotion bars. It is super easy and only takes a few minutes. My husband and son even use them.

1pt bee's wax
    1 pt liquid oils (olive and black seed)
    1pt solid oils (Kokum, Shea, and cocoa)
    Put all ingredients in a double boiler until melted. Pour into soap mold. Let cool.

rosie26 likes this.
  12. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    That sounds great @silverseas2014 I haven't heard of Lansinoh. I will see if I can get some to try. I have finally bought some white gloves, just need the right ointment now. My hands have been fine for a little while, summer is here and I usually don't have a lot of trouble in the summer months, it's when the chilly wind hits and also when I relapse in winter. Winter is not good for me.

I just noticed one of my fingers is cracked just now! After just saying I haven't had any trouble for awhile. hmm.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  13. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Thanks for the receipe @JAM. Looks very easy to make.

14. JAM

JAM Jill

You're welcome. It is easy, fast, and makes the house smell good. :)
    The initial investment is steep (I had to save up for a while to get everything), but I can't use any other lotions so it was worth it in the long run. I think what I have will last at least a year.

rosie26 likes this.
  15. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

JAM and rosie26 like this.
  16. JAM

JAM Jill

I use Dr. Bronner's soap, also very gentle. For deodorant I make my own too, very similar to your recipe, but I add arrowroot powder. It works a lot better than anything over the counter I've tried, and smells so much better!

rosie26 and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.