• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dry eyes & constipation from l-methylfolate?

Hi,

Google returns very few hits for the above side effects from l-methylfolate but I was wondering if anyone else out there gets them too. To be clear, I was already constipated (I have IBS-C) and already had dry eyes (from Provigil) but both have worsened significantly, seemingly since starting l-methylfolate.

Thanks, Pete

I've had the same thing - I recently started low dose methylfolate and even at 100mg I get dry red eyes but not the constipation. Perhaps you need to reduce the dose.

whodathunkit

@sming, read up on "paradoxical methylfolate deficiency" or "donut hole" around this forum. Bowel symptoms (either diarrhea or constipation or swinging between both) are one of Freddd's symptoms of not enough methylfolate.

I got bowel symptoms from methylfolate deficiency, too, until I finally took enough of it for long enough. Mine was the opposite of yours, however.

Basically, the theory goes that bowel symptoms seem to point to a need for healing of the epithelial cells in GI tract. For me, getting bowel symptoms from methylfolate fit well with what I knew about my health before I started Freddd's protocol...I had been diagnosed by my MD with leaky gut, for instance. GI issues had been a "weakness" for me for a long time.

All seems well now, after 7-8 months of high dose methylfolate, high dose mB12, adCbl, and LCF.

However, as always...do what you're comfortable with. Increasing mfolate dosage isn't something everyone is comfortable with. I was comfortable experimenting with high doses, and it benefited me a lot. YMMV.

Just throwing my anecdote out there as food for thought.

sorry I didn't respond earlier guys, I didn't get any email notifications for some reason. I will indeed chase up "donut hole", thanks for the pointers.

@Martial yes in total I take Wellbutrin, Provigil, Abilify, Lexapro and Ambien. Who knows what interactions are going on with that lot...

Martial

sorry I didn't respond earlier guys, I didn't get any email notifications for some reason. I will indeed chase up "donut hole", thanks for the pointers.

@Martial yes in total I take Wellbutrin, Provigil, Abilify, Lexapro and Ambien. Who knows what interactions are going on with that lot...

Methyl folate doesn't really interact with drugs beyond causing maybe less absorption, however those other drugs also have their share of side effects as well. Hard to say why the methyl folate is doing it though, maybe stirring something up in your system while healing, increased inflammation, etc..

@Martial yes that's what I figured, it could be that the methyl folate augments the side-effects of anto-depressants too.