Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Drugs that activate brain stem cells may reverse multiple sclerosis

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ema, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    "Two drugs already on the market — an antifungal and a steroid — may potentially take on new roles as treatments for multiple sclerosis. According to a study published in Nature today, researchers discovered that these drugs may activate stem cells in the brain to stimulate myelin producing cells and repair white matter, which is damaged in multiple sclerosis. The study was partially funded by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), part of the National Institutes of Health."

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/apr2015/ninds-20.htm

2. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

This could be why these two drugs have a positive effect? The treatment works but for a different reason...

3. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    a very interesting article .hopefully it will be beneficial to humans too.

4. funkyqueen

funkyqueen Senior Member

South of France
    I seen this article too and found it very interesting :thumbsup:

Something I'm not sure I understand: I read everything and its opposite:
    - PWME, unlike MS Sufferers do NOT have the reach of the white matter
    - ME sufferers have many micro lesions in the white matter, but not visible to the MRI
    - they have found lesions in the white matter in the brains autopsy of ME patients

So ? What about us? :-/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    whodathunkit and alkt like this.
  5. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I'm not sure about all of the symptoms, but white matter lesions are a classic symptom of hughes syndrome, which is caused by sticky blood and poor circulation.

whodathunkit, Marco and alkt like this.
  6. out2lunch

out2lunch Senior Member

IV miconazole was used decades ago to treat fungal meningitis. Hmm. Fungus in the brain. Sounds like we're entering Shoemaker territory with CIRS.

CIRS as a trigger of MS. Or Alzheimer's. Or Parkinson's. Or ALS. Yadda yadda yadda. ;)

No one here should be surprised by this finding.

See more popular forum discussions.