• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drugs effective agaist xmrv type viruses(mlv)

G

Gerwyn

ournal of Virology, October 1999, p. 8813-8816, Vol. 73, No. 10
0022-538X/99/$04.00+0
Copyright 1999, American Society for Microbiology. All rights reserved.
Efficacy of Antiretroviral Agents against Murine Replication-Competent Retrovirus Infection in Human Cells
Sharon K. Powell,* Moria Artlip, Michele Kaloss, Scott Brazinski, Russette Lyons, Gerard J. McGarrity, and Edward Otto

Genetic Therapy, Inc., a Novartis Company, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878

Received 24 March 1999/Accepted 7 July 1999

ABSTRACT
Abstract
Text
References

Retroviral vectors for gene therapy are designed to minimize the occurrence of replication-competent retrovirus (RCR); nonetheless, it is possible that a vector-derived RCR could establish an infection in a patient. Since the efficacy of antiretroviral agents can be impacted by interactions between virus, host cell, and drug, five commonly used antiretroviral drugs were evaluated for their abilities to inhibit the replication of a murine leukemia virus (MLV)-derived RCR in human cells. The results obtained indicate that the combination of nucleoside analogs zidovudine and dideoxyinosine with the protease inhibitor indinavir effectively inhibits MLV-derived RCR replication in three human cell lines. In addition, MLV-derived RCR was found to be inherently resistant to the nucleoside analogs lamivudine and stavudine, suggesting that mutations conferring resistance to nucleoside analogs in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 have the same effect even in an alternative viral backbone.

jace

Off the fence
zidovudine and dideoxyinosine with the protease inhibitor indinavir

Zidovudine (Azidothymidine, AZT, ZDV , Retrovir, Retrovis)
Dideoxyinosine (2’,3’-Dideoxyinosine, hydrate, DDI, Didanosine, Didanosine (JAN/USAN), Dideoxyinosine, Inosine, 2’,3’-dideoxy-, Videx, Videx (TN), Videx EC, ddI, Did)
indinavir (Crixivan)

I'm sure this site http://www.aidsinfonet.org/ has been linked to before on PR, but it's the first time I've seen it, and it sure is useful. There is a search box at the top right hand side, info on anything retroviral and more.

I wonder whether we could somehow organise a retroviral trial? We would need physicians on board. As Dr Coffin said recently, a retroviral study, properly configured, is what is needed to prove or disprove XMRV causation in Myalgic Encephalomylitis