Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Drug price increases 5000%

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by minkeygirl, Sep 21, 2015.

1. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
  2. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

At $13.50 per pill it was already overpriced as far as I'm concerned, especially for a generic drug that was developed over 60 years ago.

And this isn't the only drug this is happening to...
    The government, big pharma and Wall Street have become so corrupt it's simply mind boggling.

3. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

You should check out this a**holes Twitter comments. He's a serious piece of work...

[​IMG]
    LOL, he astronomically raises the price and has the gall to claim that it "aint my fault"? What a complete and utter sociopath.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  4. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Not surprising. My insurance was trying to deny me Gastrocrom (which at the time I needed to eat w/o anaphylaxis) and charge me $1000 per box. After much debate with them, they went down to about $375 per box which I had no choice but to pay for about 5-6 months but thank God I no longer need this med. Had I not found an alternative, they were going to charge me close to $3000 for one bottle of Valcyte (but I got it another way and then didn't tolerate it so it didn't matter.) I don't see this kind of thing changing any time soon.

alkt likes this.
  5. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I know, prices are a joke. What got me was his saying this will fund research. WTF? Another rich douchebag

Beyond, Valentijn and alkt like this.
  6. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Guess he goes along with the poor douchebags!

GG

alkt likes this.
  7. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

This is when it becomes beneficial to look at overseas prices, like alldaychemist... if that even carry that sort of thing.

8. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

I think the problem is that, even though it's generic, no one else has been interested in manufacturing due to limited demand.

Ironically, now that this jerk is price gouging, there may be an incentive for another company to start producing it.

Then again, I seemed to have read somewhere, that due to arcane and corrupt pharmaceutical laws, he may be able to block other companies from manufacturing it.

taniaaust1 likes this.
  9. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    I think they bought exclusive rights, didn't read that, think I heard it on TV. FYI

GG

10. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

Actually, this is what I found on the subject...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Valentijn likes this.
  11. Vic

Vic

Just imagine if all this money was spent on things that actually made people healthier...

dannybex and Beyond like this.
  12. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Whois Martin Shkreli? The press really didn't dig deep enought. He a 32-year-old venture capitalist, ex hedge fund manager. Shkreli was fired by Retrophin's Board with Stephen Aselage being named as his replacement in September 2014. Retrophin filed a $65 million dollar lawsuit against Shkreli in August 2015, claiming he breached his duty of loyalty to the biopharmaceutical company in a long-running dispute over his use of company funds.

The biggest game is by hedge funds/venture capitalist and newly formed pharmaceuticals is to buy cheap patents for drugs that are critical for patients survival and then raising the price 350-5500%.

http://usuncut.com/class-war/watch-...ids-pill-by-5500-says-drug-still-underpriced/

Police Report: Pharma CEO Martin Shkreli Hacked Legal Rival and Harassed His Wife and Teenage Son For Months

Update: Some of the Big Pharma Reps are categorizing the unsavory characteristics of Martin Shkreli as ' pure greed' on twitter. Alicia Hardin@AliciaHardin 19h19 hours ago
    @AlicusOfficial @MartinShkreli I AM big pharma. this drug has been out for 65 years and that argument is invalid.
    -

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    John Mac, RL_sparky, Chrisb and 2 others like this.
  13. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    This is so appalling that I have no words.

14. adreno

adreno PR activist

15. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I watched the video and he looks and sounds like a sociopath to me.

Violeta and Valentijn like this.
  16. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

Hopefully this blatant abuse of the current system will provoke changes. Health care is an essential need of everyone - it does not belong in a for-profit framework.

Beyond likes this.
  17. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

Very weird. No emotional involvement at all, just a lot of fast talking and charming smiles. Even when discussing the human impact his actions can and are having.

sarah darwins and Gingergrrl like this.
  18. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Good grief. This is kind of what those 'smart guys' at Enron did with electricity in California — buy the rights then just bleed the consumer dry. It's extortion, plain and simple, and the people doing it should be behind bars.

Gingergrrl and Valentijn like this.
  19. Beyond

Beyond Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!

Murcia, Spain
    People that market drugs are sociopaths? No wayyy... :D

He smiles very creepily in the interview. Quite evil.

Gingergrrl, sarah darwins and Violeta like this.
  20. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

I really believe there's a special place waiting for people who are doing stuff like that to their fellow mankind.

Gingergrrl likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.