1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Drug companies, health professionals and bribery

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MeSci, Dec 17, 2013.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sns-rt-us-glaxosmithkline-payment-20131216,0,2544583.story

Ren likes this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Let me put it this way, if other pharma companies don't follow then GSK will win a clear victory. Its a gutsy and farsighted move.
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    If other companies don't follow, won't doctors prescribe the drugs of the companies that still pay them rather than those of GSK?
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

In the short to medium term, I think yes. However at some point it will impact pharma business negatively. Big pharma does not have a bright future based on current issues.
  5. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I do hope you're right.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Most pharma companies have few new drugs in the pipeline, and their old drugs are either generic or will be in a few years. That means they have little new product. Now they can play the marketing game, creating new claims, new diagnoses etc., or they can shift to a service model. If they don't provide something useful then they will lose nearly all their business to generics. In any case a drop in prices so generics cannot massively underbid them will mean they have no money for paying big commissions.

You would think this might give them incentive to put money into badly understood diseases but they have never had a basic research model.

The biggest issue in developing new drugs is most drugs fail, and they have probably already developed the easy ones. Even before you consider impediments to drug development such as regulations, the very nature of the process makes it very expensive. For decades the drug companies have been pushing aggressive marketing, and now that has no future and they have failed to develop alternatives.
    Ren likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.