• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Driving with ME/CFS

Inara

I drive only little distances, about 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I drive longer routes, but only if I know them well, and I feel a bit uncomfortable. The problem is I can't concentrate long enough and have problems with focusing. But that is actually what makes driving safe, concentrating on what the others do.

For short distances an eBike is a great idea; I have one, too. For middle distances I use a car. For longer distances I ask someone else to drive.

Still, if you feel you might make it, I would try it! Living rural has its advantages over the city, especially with ME. And driving brings a certain freedom. Good luck and have fun!

Skycloud

I drive only little distances, about 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I drive longer routes, but only if I know them well, and I feel a bit uncomfortable. The problem is I can't concentrate long enough and have problems with focusing. But that is actually what makes driving safe, concentrating on what the others do.

for the last few years this is similar to me when i do drive. My town is 3 miles across at most, so 5 minutes to anywhere I need to go

ukxmrv

I find learning new things and especially those that require both exertion and cognitive strength near to impossible. That's why I am not spending my time at home learning a new language or how to play a musical instrument. Even listening to the radio or TV is too much for me most days at the moment.

I can't drive because I'm too weak to be able to turn the wheel and unable to concentrate. Can't remember the difference between left and right let alone where I am when I can leave the house. Also eye problems means that I cannot reliably see traffic in the mirror and/or my neck problems mean I can't move my head to see traffic.

I still have automatic things that I have learned but driving to the extent it becomes automatic wouldn't be possible for me. I'd not be able to do it enough so that it becomes automatic plus the current cognitive problems make putting down new memories very hard.

There is a difference I find between using old skills and learning new ones with my ME and I'm not sure how many others find this is the same.

I suspect that if I had been a good driver before I got ME I'd have more of the automatic behavior to fall back on but I was a young adult with very little driving experience so probably that explains it. I found learning to use a mobility scooter and an electric wheelchair very hard.

markielock

It's really interesting hearing the different perspectives of individuals with varying severity in symptoms and how they affect their ability to drive. The theme I'm noticing is that the issue revolves around being able to remain consistent enough for the duration of a journey before it comes unsafe. Everyone gets tired from driving, but we just happen to get tired a lot quicker (or before we even begin!).

It depends on where you live. I am in remote region with little traffic and lots of parking spots, so driving is like using a wheel chair

I really liked this comparison. I could imagine my own personal limitations allowing me the opportunity to use it as a slightly more involved short-distance wheelchair, ha ha. Provided I paced myself in and around my journeys. I would have to be a lot more considered about how far I'm going and what I will be doing while I'm out.

If it turns out to be financially feasible and the right decision to drive, I will have to see how I endure in a few lessons.

Thanks so much for all your feedback so far :)