1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Draco discovered by MIT could cure nearly any viral infection

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Zensational, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Zensational

Zensational

Orlando, Florida
    Researchers at MIT’s Lincoln Lab have developed technology that may someday cure the common cold, influenza and other ailments.
    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/antiviral-0810.html

Check out the link and let me know what you think!
    Of course it will have to go through clinical trials and that could take several years.

Husband and I both have Epstein-Barr virus. He sleeps alot, I am in later stages having had actively for 29 years.

At least there's hope.
    golden, Kina, Enid and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Wow!

I thought that was a reference to Draco Malfoy (Harry Potter's enemy) when I first read your title. Quite the opposite! :thumbsup:
    Kina and Bob like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I have read this before, about DRACO. Against a new viral attack its good I think and worth further study. Against an entrenched virus its dangerous.

Here is what I think would happen if given to an ME patient at moderate dose for a regular viral infection: our brain, gut and muscles would quite literally dissolve. Our immune system would collapse. It would be a most gruesome death. Given how common entrenched herpes virus infections are in the nervous system, I think the risk of severe neurological damage would be extreme even in the general population. Both of these conclusion though rely on this target RNA being present in cells infected with latent virus. It might not be. However losing even some nerves might not be a good thing.
    globalpilot, golden and Sasha like this.
  4. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Just pointing out that the article (and the research paper) are a couple of years old.
    Waverunner likes this.
  5. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light
    That is some gruesome prediction Alex ....

Ouch
  6. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Bob likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.