1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Weil finally chimes in on XMRV

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by _Kim_, Dec 24, 2009.

1. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

December 4, 2009

Chronic Fatigue Virus? (you can leave comments about this on his website)

2. Eric Johnson from I&I

Eric Johnson from I&I Senior Member

Some of our allies have recommended graded exercise. I'm not saying they did it rightly or wrongly; I dont know.

His comment is reasonable at least -- more than many a public comment on this.

But yeah I am something of a vitamin supplement skeptic (except vitamin D) myself, and an alt-med skeptic. So I'm not saying the guys generally a genius or anything.
  3. Samuel

Samuel Bedbound with NO DOCTOR

He took breatharians semi-seriously.
  4. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    Dr. Weil and CFS

Here are quotes from Dr. Weil's own website on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Maybe we should start an "educate Dr. Weil campaign."

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00702/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-CFS.html
  5. Hysterical Woman

Hysterical Woman Senior Member

East Coast
    Dr. Weil

If I remember correctly (and there is no guarantee of that :(), I believe Weil was pretty tough on CFS several years ago - believing it to be just stress related that could be relieved by exercise. He later "apologized" in not believing it was a real illness. However, years ago when I was still trying to work, a couple of co-workers who were big believers in Weil asked me about his recommendations regarding CFS & exercise.

About the same time, another co-worker heard about Dr. Rowe's work regarding neurally mediated hypotension issues including low blood volume. He said he had heard that Rowe commented that CFS people could be a lot better if they just ate a pickle a day (which I believe Rowe said he never said).

As a result, for years my co-workers didn't understand why I was still ill since all I had to do is go out running every day with a pickle in my mouth.:)

Take care,

Maxine
  6. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    I (perversely?) *love* hearing stories of all the stupid things people have said to us over the years. They're just so hilarious! Maybe we should start a thread?
  7. Samuel

Samuel Bedbound with NO DOCTOR

Good idea, Fresh Eyes. I have lost track, and could use them as a sort of appendix to my long list of denigrated diseases.
  8. Lily

Lily *Believe*

HA!!!

I agree - they are hilarious and I think that's a great idea! We can never have too many laughs around here. In fact, it is a requirement - good medicine!::D:p:D
  9. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    Reminds me of a wonderful piece on "Advice" by my friend Lily, who is a writer and has CFS. I'm going to start a thread and share that. :D

ETA: Done! Y'all come on over to the Community Lounge and share that stupidity!

ps Hey, Samuel - I'd like to check out those denigrated diseases of yours, too!

See more popular forum discussions.