• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Wanda Jones to stay with CFSAC - yipee!

leelaplay

I just looked at the CFSAC website and saw the following notice on the home page.

As of December 1, 2009, administrative and management support for CFSAC activities will be provided by the Office of Public Health and Science. However, staffing will continue to be provided primarily from the Office on Women's Health, which is part of the Office of Public Health and Science.

Dr. Wanda K. Jones, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health, Office of Public Health and Science, will continue in her role as the Designated Federal Officer for CFSAC.

This seems to be great news. I was very impressed by Wanda during the CFSAC Oct 09 meeting, and her personal responses to emails (maybe only those sent by Americans, I never got one).

From what I gathered of how the US systems works, the CFSAC is a team of experts in the field who come up with recommendations as to what needs to be done for the disease in the US. Then, these are sent to the Secretary of Health, and it takes a long time for anything to get acted upon, if it ever does.

Wanda K. Jones appears to know how to actually get things done by the government. I think we're very lucky.

I'm going to her write her and wish her and us congratulations.

wanda.jones@hhs.gov

islandfinn:)

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
Yay, Wanda!

And also, they're moving it from "Women's Health" to "Public Health & Science" - that sounds like a HUGE change in the right direction. Does that mean what I think it means? Anyone?

leelaplay

Yay, Wanda!

And also, they're moving it from "Women's Health" to "Public Health & Science" - that sounds like a HUGE change in the right direction. Does that mean what I think it means? Anyone?

Thanks for the catch fresh eyes - so tired didn't realize that part of my post had disappeared. Exciting, and intriguing, isn't it. Think I'll go back and bold the highlights.

if:)

K

_Kim_

Thanks for the catch fresh eyes - so tired didn't realize that part of my post had disappeared. Exciting, and intriguing, isn't it. Think I'll go back and bold the highlights.

if:)

:D:D And that's why we call her fresh:eek:eyes :D:D

R

Robin

I'm confused. Is just CFSAC is being moved? Will the CFS research department (Reeves + friends) stay in Women's Health?

jspotila

CFSAC vs. NIH vs. CDC

I'm confused. Is just CFSAC is being moved? Will the CFS research department (Reeves + friends) stay in Women's Health?

The CFSAC was housed in the Office of Women's Health at DHHS, within the Office of Public Health and Science. From the announcement quoted above, it looks like the CFSAC will move "up" (sideways? diagonally?) within the Office of Public Health and Science, but Dr. Jones and administrative support will still be provided by the Office of Women's Health.

This is different from the CDC's CFS Research Program. That is housed in the National Center for Zoonotic, Vectorborne and Enteric Diseases at CDC.

And at NIH, the Office of Research on Women's Health is "home" for CFS but that does not mean the Office oversees NIH funded CFS research. At least, not to my understanding.

Perhaps I should have left this to Cort for an answer because I'm sure he keeps better track of federal acronyms than me!

R

Robin

The CFSAC was housed in the Office of Women's Health at DHHS, within the Office of Public Health and Science...

Thanks for clearing that up! It's hard to remember that there are three different agencies involved.

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
I dropped Wanda a line to say we're glad she's staying and ask what import, if any, the move of the CFSAC to Public Health might have. Knowing her, we'll probably hear back from her immediately! :)

ETA, yep! That's our Wanda! Her reply:

"It's really NOT moving; I moved, but the staffing remains with OWH. I have no staff in my new position. Thank you for writing.
Wanda K Jones, DrPH
Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health
US Department of Health and Human Services
200 Independence Ave SW
Washington, DC 20201"

jspotila

ETA, yep! That's our Wanda! Her reply:

"It's really NOT moving; I moved, but the staffing remains with OWH. I have no staff in my new position. Thank you for writing.
Wanda K Jones, DrPH
Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health
US Department of Health and Human Services
200 Independence Ave SW
Washington, DC 20201"

So she got promoted to Principal Deputy Secretary!? Anyone know what federal pay grade that is?

jspotila

No idea, but from what I've seen, I'd say she's worth every penny. Even without staff.

I totally agree! I talked to a friend of mine last night who said this sounds like a promotion, but I haven't looked for the DHHS org chart to confirm.