1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Wakefield sues the BMJ in Texas.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by currer, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. currer

currer Senior Member

2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Well worth a read indeed currer.

3. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Interesting. Don't know enough about the Wakefield case to say if BMJ and Godlee did conduct a campaign of libel against Wakefield, but it wouldn't surprise me considering their campaign of lying about ME.

currer likes this.
  4. justinreilly

NYC (& RI)
    I wonder why he isn't suing them in the UK since their libel laws are ridiculously strict. In the UK, the defendant has to prove what he said was true (which is crazy); in the US, the plaintiff has to prove they are false and in some cases, done with 'malice.' Perhaps he fears that the UK establishment has done such a good job of either discrediting or railroading him that people will be biased against him there.

5. Levi

Levi Senior Member

Well, for one thing Wakefield lives in Texas. Although Texas does have a punitive damages limit, it is pretty generous and a probably better deal than for the UK. Plus, Texas citizens are mostly anti-science and do not even believe in evolution. Definite home team advantage there.

justinreilly and currer like this.
  6. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Wakefields Lancet science is solid, but that is completely beside the point, as this is not about his findings or replications etc. This case would not be about science and whether it was correct (for God's sake do we put researchers on trial for science?), and it would not be about what went on at GMC. GMC "trial" was not a legal one - GMC is not a court of justice.

The case is about what went on in the last 12 months - lies and fabrications by Deer and BMJ, who alleged AW faking data, manipulating records etc. He is claiming they lied about all that and that their allegations are based on nothing at all. AW would only have to prove that they were AWARE that their allegations were baseless.

Btw top echalons of UK legal system are populated by old-boys-network club, just like the GMC. The other arm of old-boys-network club, many of them family members and close friends of judges and politicians, populates executive and director boards of large companies, including media and pharmaceutical ones. James Murdoch, Crispin Davis, Paul Nuki et al. being just tip of the iceberg. To expect anything resembling fair trial and justice in the UK is laughably naive.

justinreilly, Wildcat and currer like this.
  7. currer

currer Senior Member

Wakefield's statement contains fascinating information from his side of the case - read it, because Wakefield has had a hard time in getting publicity for his story..

8. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US
    I have to agree, Levi, with much of what you say about Texas, differing only in that it's Austin, the Palo Alto of Texas(relatively speaking), where the suit was actually filed.

justinreilly likes this.
  9. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
  10. currer

currer Senior Member

I am glad the case is filed in Texas as I think Dr Wakefield may stand a better chance of a fair trial there than in Britain.

The BMJ editorial is a chilling example of how powerful the forces are against Dr Wakefield, and I am impressed By Dr Wakefield's courage in standing up for himself and his professional integrity. From reading his statement I would think his case is a powerful one and hard for the BMJ to defend itself against.

I was almost going to say that I would now expect to see another outpouring of vitriol against Dr Wakefield in the press and broadcast media - however - wouldnt such a press campaign be contempt of court with a case now pending?

11. currer

currer Senior Member

The BMJ is not going to help ME sufferers either. It will not report the successful Norwegian Rituximab trials.

12. justinreilly

NYC (& RI)
    Where can I find Wakefield's deposition?

13. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Whistleblower Scientist Accuses BMJ of Institutional Research Misconduct

http://www.ageofautism.com/2012/01/...nal-of-institutional-research-misconduct.html

this from the full report (available through the above link):

14. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks natasha - and wow ! Will all the truth come out now.

15. currer

currer Senior Member

Lewis added: Apparently scientists who question certain government policies and industry practices can be destroyed for a price. If so, this kind of tabloid science poses a genuine threat to public health.

16. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    They will (and have been) ffighting this tooth and nail.

As I'e said, this is a $50 billion a year industry
    Governments let themselves be made as the ones who'll carry the the insurance burden of any vaccine problems
    the political fallout would make Watergate or any other issue look like NOTHING by comparison ("You wrecked our children!"....doesn't matter who was actually responsible, voters when this is revealed will go nuts on who ever is in office..so governments will do anything to avoid this)
    and so on.

Vaccines are reprehinsible, collective STUPIDITY when used as they have been, and potentially, species suicide.
    We don't know jack squat as a species and we've been injecting our infants with foreign DNA/RNA for a century as one huge collective experiment and money spinner....way to go, ass clown Homo Sapiens! :p Stuff it, I'm a Vulcan! :D

Vaccines should be like any legitimate medical treatment:
    -free from commercial abuse
    -free from egotistical, authoritarian, governmental mandate EXCEPT in true, dire emergency, ie small pox or similar

17. justinreilly

NYC (& RI)
    I read the report. The grevious fraud alleged against Fiona Godlee seems very in character with her treatment of ME in BMJ.

This guy seems great. He says he's been investigating full time this story on his own initiative for this org, NWS since beginning of last year. He may be receptive if we bring up Godlee and BMJ's misconduct re ME. I wrote him a short note just to alert him to the situation, plan on writing him further later (too busy now). If anyone else can, that would be great, at least to plant the seed in his mind. I think it may very well bear fruit at some point. Think if we had this guy on our side...

email: lewisdavel@aol.com

currer likes this.
  18. justinreilly

NYC (& RI)
    email to Dr. Lewis at lewisdavel@aol.com Please write him a couple of words of encouragement if you can. Thanks!

Lou and currer like this.
  19. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    You know there are two threads running about this I believe. Darn confusing.

Time: Wakefield: Great Science Frauds: http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/13/great-science-frauds/#andrew-wakefield

LBRB Deer responds to Lewis's complaint: http://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/2012/01/brian-deer-responds-to-david-lewis-complaint/

You know the whole issue of Lewis's complaint - those tick-sheets from the children's gut biopsies - it was ridiculous and actually provided more evidence that had previously been claimed 'lost' by the defence. Even if you ignore Lewis's 'form' the accusation he makes is nonsensical in the extreme. Have a read through the supporting articles to the above.

I spent a day last week reading back through it all and refreshing my addled brain. This latest effort really has only played into the opposition's hands and undermined - if that were possible - Wakefield even more. Lewis makes some school-boy errors in his complaint. Citing accusations of 'fraud' when there were none - at least not in the articles to which he refers. No wonder the BMJ have instructed their lawyers to 'defend the claim vigorously': http://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/20...vigorously-against-andrew-wakefields-lawsuit/

20. justinreilly

NYC (& RI)
    Dr. Lewis responded graciously to my email and another follow up. I posted my reply email below. He gave me permission to summarize part of what he conveyed to me, which was that he forwarded the email to Dr. Wakefield and his lawyers to see if they wanted to look into it. He said he may have an opportunity to look into the BMJ/ME situation to an extent next year, at least ancillarily to further research he wishes to do on the BMJ/Wakefield situation.

The professors I mention were a couple of law professors at NYU with whom he is in contact regarding autism.

I don't know much about the Wakefield situation, but Margaret Williams said that Prof. Hooper knows Dr. Wakefield and has supported him from the get-go which says a lot to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

See more popular forum discussions.