1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Vernon Impact of acute psychosocial stress on peripheral blood gene expression ...

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by shrewsbury, Jan 2, 2010.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

kelly's submission to CO-CURE was posted Dec 8 09 (I'm still trying to catch up)

Biol Psychol. 2009 Oct;82(2):125-32. Epub 2009 Jul 3.
    Impact of acute psychosocial stress on peripheral blood gene expression pathways in healthy men.

Nater UM, Whistler T, Lonergan W, Mletzko T, Vernon SD, Heim C.

Chronic Viral Diseases Branch, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector-borne and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, MS-G41, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA.

We investigated peripheral blood mononuclear cell gene expression responses to acute psychosocial stress to identify molecular pathways relevant to the stress response. Blood samples were obtained from 10 healthy male subjects before, during and after (at 0, 30, and 60 min) a standardized psychosocial laboratory stressor.

Ribonucleic acid (RNA) was extracted and gene expression measured by hybridization to a 20,000-gene microarray. Gene Set Expression Comparisons (GSEC) using defined pathways were used for the analysis. Forty-nine pathways were significantly changed from baseline to immediately after the stressor (p<0.05), implicating cell cycle, cell signaling, adhesion and
    immune responses.

The comparison between stress and recovery (measured 30 min later) identified 36 pathways, several involving stress-responsive signaling cascades and cellular defense mechanisms.

These results have relevance for understanding molecular mechanisms of the physiological stress response, and might be used to further study adverse health outcomes of psychosocial stress.

PMID: 19577611 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE
  2. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

And the CAA's Scientific Director is doing psychosomatic research in healthy people why??

I hope, at least, that none of the CAA's funds went into this, or any of her other work with her "neo-Freudian" colleague on psychosocial stress... and that she's spending all her time now on investigating physical mechanisms in ME/CFS.

Anyone else find this disturbing?
  3. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    Wait, what??? Vernon is authoring psychosocial research in conjunction with Emory/CDC in 2009???

ETA I found Hillary Johnson's take on Christine Heim (Vernon's coauthor here) and her research:

http://www.oslersweb.com/blog.htm?post=619089

4. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    Neo-Freudian? That's just frightening.

I hate to say it but I am not at all surprised that Vernon would be authorizing psychosocial studies in 2009.
  5. fresh_eyes

Co-cure commentary on Heim's research:

6. Koan

Koan Be the change.

YES, I do!
  7. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Guilty...

Criminals are deemed innocent until proven guilty.
    CFS/ME patients are deemed guilty (of a psychosomatic illness/mental disease/it's in your head/ get out of my office) until proven otherwise(indeed very ill people just like HIV, cancer, MS, lupus, etc)
  8. Katie

Katie Guest

Hmm, has Dr Kerr's work put a little fly in their ointment? Seems like they are trying to offset his diligent work in differentiating ME/CFS from depression so that the pyschbrigade have something to reference as the pat each other on the back. Grrr, my first post of the new year and I'm all stroppy, this just isn't right.

What weird, if I didn't feel like they were forcing a hypothesis on me, I'd find the physical effects of stress fascinating. I know that stress can run you down and make you vulnerable to picking up colds etc. but massive ongoing illnesses that improve/worsen whether under increased stress or not? Nothing is that simple, we certainly are not. They can only look at an issue through their psychiatric lens, they can't see the physical evidence because the just can't focus on it, all they see if the evidence that fits their world view. So very, very sad.

Come on Dr Kerr and Mikovits, make these papers obsolete! A joke. A textbook footnote of the dark days. Please.
  9. Koan

Koan Be the change.

I find it fascinating how adaptive doctors are when protecting their turf.

If PWC have no biological anomalies, they are neurotic.

If PWC have biological anomalies, these anomalies measure how neurotic they are.
  10. Katie

Katie Guest

Yes. Gosh you've got a fantastic way of summing that up beautifully. Tragically, but beautifully.
  11. sarahg

sarahg Admin Assistant

Pennsylvania
    Here is one thought- Could her name go on the paper if it was based on data she compiled years earlier, even if she was not directly involved in this study? Like she collected data for some other purpose and they used it for this so they put her name on it? because that would be more a case of CDC trying to make their erstwhile researcher look bad to all of us than of any actual impropriety. Can someone more sciency tell me if this is possible? It seems like that that might be the kind of thing they do with science papers, you know, give credit for all involved even if it was years ago and not really related. Cause last I heard this lady was not on their payroll.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

My guess is, like sarahg, I think it was done when she was on the payroll of the CDC.
    Maybe somebody could see on the full paper when it was submitted. Often there can be a gap of over a year between when something was submitted and when it was finally published - because the authors can be asked to re-submit a revised version and generally the peer-review process can take a while.

What I'd be interested in knowing is whether the money used to pay for it came from the CFS budget. The CDC have used some of the CFS budget for non-CFS patients in the past (even after the GAO report). They may be planning to use the data when looking at the responses in the Georgia cohort of CFS (empiric/Reeves critieia) to psychosocial stress e.g. they are seeing the effect of public speaking on them. I'm not happy that studies on healthy groups should come out of the CDC CFS budget but it's all rubbish these days because of the empiric/Reeves criteria so maybe it is not so bad they are spending it on the study highlighted in this thread!
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

14. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

I thought the same thing when I saw the article. When did she start working for the CAA?

[​IMG]
  15. fresh_eyes

Oops - thanks for catching that, tomk. I will change the original post.
  16. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Kim:
    "Charlotte, North Carolina- November 7, 2007. The CFIDS Association of America announced today that Suzanne Vernon, PhD, has been named scientific director and will lead the Association’s research program for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)."

(from the Houston CFIDS Association: http://houstoncfids.org/?p=54 )

EXACTLY a year (funny coincidence) before this paper was "received".
  17. fresh_eyes

So, looks Vernon was Scientific Director of the CAA for a year before this paper was submitted for publication.
  18. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Here's another interesting bit from the article. She is listed on the author list as an employee of the CDC, but then, there is a footnote about her new "address" @ the CAA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, me too. I haven't seen the full text so don't know if that is much different.

As I say, my guess is it's the control data for the CFS research. Nater, Whistler, Vernon and Heim seem to be part of the CDC CFS team (names of others don't ring bells but maybe they would show up in other CDC CFS studies or they could be stat people etc)
  20. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Here's who funded this study:

[​IMG]

See more popular forum discussions.