• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Terry Wahls - MS recovery plan

xchocoholic

Hi cjb,

I consider any food not in it's natural state to be processed. In other words, raw coconuts that you open yourself aren't processed but all forms that come in other packages are.

I know this will sound weird to some but I can feel the difference. I feel a boost of energy from
eating a salad versus juicing or blending the same ingredients. And for me, juicing is better than blending.

Chris,

You're doing what I'm doing when it comes to figuring out what foods work for me. I had to give up juicing
veggies, like beets, chard, ginger, etc because I couldn't handle their textures. They made my throat, or possibly
my thyroid, very painful. Each time it took me a few days to heal that area. I gave up spinach because
of my oxalate problem. And I limit my fruit because if my hyperinsulinemia.

I'm ok with kale, romain and red leaf lettuce, dandelion, 1 carrot and an apple in my juice tho.

I'm not sure what to make of the chemicals involved. There's just too much info for me to keep it straight.
And it keeps changing depending on who wrote it. Imho, eating a wide variety of foods would work best.

I am avoiding goitrogens and increasing my iodine tho. I have hashimotos so I have to.

Tc .. X

CJB

Hi cjb,

I consider any food not in it's natural state to be processed. In other words, raw coconuts that you open yourself aren't processed but all forms that come in other packages are.

I know this will sound weird to some but I can feel the difference. I feel a boost of energy from
eating a salad versus juicing or blending the same ingredients. And for me, juicing is better than blending.

<snip>

Tc .. X

:rofl: Now I've got a visual of you stalking the wild chicken with a rock in your hand!!

BTW does anyone get down liver - even once a week? I just can't stand the stuff and I've tried and tried and tried. Adelle Davis, way back in the 60s swore it was a health food and I started trying back then. I'd buy the liver. Bring the liver home and put it in the frig. Decide I was too busy to cook it right now and put it in the freezer. Then I'd throw it away when I moved. Repeat.

xchocoholic

You crack me up .. I'm having the same problem with liver. I found some good recipes on the web
and I even liked them but everytime I actually took a bite of the liver, I cringed and gagged.

Tc .. X

maddietod

I've posted elsewhere that my cholesterol is "alarming" to my doctor. I dutifully tried lipitor, and lasted about 5 days. At the same time, I radically changed my diet, and a lot of it would be Wahls-approved. So I thought I'd share.

1 cup non-instant oatmeal
2 cups soymilk (spread through the day)
1 Tbs Flax meal
1/2 lb mixed fruit
1 ounce almonds or walnuts

1 lb raw vegetables as a salad; strawberries blended with vinegar as dressing
1/2c beans

1 lb roasted or steamed vegetables

I don't eat nightshades (so no potatoes), and I'm not eating sweet potatoes because of the carbs. I completely avoid added fats, and I sweeten with stevia. With the foods I use, I get 45g of protein and 32g of fiber.

On some days I eat more than this, but only after filling my quotas.

CJB

Oatmeal is great for reducing cholesterol. I hope this diet does the trick for you.

You crack me up .. I'm having the same problem with liver. I found some good recipes on the web
and I even liked them but everytime I actually took a bite of the liver, I cringed and gagged.

Tc .. X
Looky what I found. Thank you Dr. Wahl!! I can do clams. Liver spaghetti sauce? Maybe not.:eek:

Mussels, oysters, clams are all organ meats. Try those. Don't over cook the organ meats. Try jerky. Blend with water and add to stews, meat loaf, spaghetti sauce.
Try heart - or kidney - milder than liver and also tremendous nutrition. Try tongue. Key - cook on low, leave as rare as possible. I like to simmer heart in wine - just ten minutes and it is fabulous.

Dr. Terry Wahls

Timaca

maddie~ It will be very interesting to see if your chol levels improve with diet alone. I hope it does.

I get my labs drawn tomorrow, including a cholesterol panel. I will be interested to see if my chol panel is better and also if my immune function is any better. I do not follow the Wahl's diet, but I do essentially eat vegan (with fish), and I eat a lot of fruits and vegies, and I'm juicing fruits and veggies too.

Best, Timaca

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I eat sea veggies a lot with the Wahl's diet. I just had squid salad and lots of diff. sea veggies. I love it. LOTS of fish. Meat too, but I know you aren't eating that right now.

Sid

Hi sally,

Dairy is excluded fir a variety of reasons. Imho, Cordain explains this best. People with leaky gut can
react to this as an opioid thus making it addictive and harmful to our bodies.

Also, I just learned that dairy
contains lactoferrin which causes an increase in bone growth. My paget's flared (i could feel my skull growing because it's very painful) the last time I tried
dairy kefir and this explains why. Googling lactoferrin and paget's I found various studies on this.
One study on lactoferrin excluded anyone with active paget's. Now there's a big clue .. Lol ..

While
not everyone had paget's, I'd be wary of anything that can cause a paget's flare. Who knows, This may turn out to be a cause for paget's .. the dairy manufacturers certainly aren't going to let this out.

Tc .. X

Hi, xchocoholic.

I wonder if you can help me? I have developed Paget's disease in my left ulna, and will have a scan shortly to make sure it's just Paget's, and also to see whether I have it in any other bones. The treatment they want to give me is a single infusion of zelodronic acid, which I'm assured is "generally well tolerated" but has a terrifying list of possible side effects - especially for an ME person. :eek:) I don't tolerate drugs well, and I'm very wary of it, given the devastating effect it may have on my ME, too. However, the Paget's is serious; it's painful and it is growing into my elbow which means I'm gradually losing the use of my arm, so I can't just leave it alone.

I wondered whether you'd had any experience of zelodronic acid or other bisphosphonates as a treatment for your Paget's, and if so, how did it affect you? Any experience or advice you are able to share would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Sid.