1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Salvato's opinion-XMRV

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Frickly, Oct 26, 2009.

1. zoe.a.m.

zoe.a.m. Senior Member

Olympic Peninsula, Washington
    ? for Frickly

Can you share what lab tests/company are being used to test for mycoplasmas? I am currently being treated for an unknown mycoplasma infection and have been trying to get word of how others are getting definitive answers about these infections. Does Dr. Salvato generally use one specific lab?

Thanks in advance.

2. nina_online

nina_online

Austin, TX
    My EBV test results

Lucie,
    This is what I mean. My recent CPL test shows:
    Nuclear Antigen IgG: positive / high
    Early Ag (antigen?) IgG: neg
    VCA IgG: positive / very high
    VCA IgM: negative
    which the interpretation report shows as a remote past infection, since Early Antigen is negative.

However, in 2007 Salvato tested me, using LabCorp, with these results:
    Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG: positive /high
    Early Antigen Ab, IgC: positive / slighly high (118. 0-99 is normal.)
    Ab VCA, IgG: positive / very high
    Ab VCA, IgM: negative / normal, indicating an old infection

Hmm, so I guess at that time you COULD say I had a chronic infection, by a hair (118 out of 99). But I guess now it's gone?? Score one for methylation supplements? (or anti-oxidents?) Wierd because I would have picked up EBV 30 years ago.

Hmmm.

Nina

3. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    zoe

Dr. Salvato uses Labcorp. I know there are many species of mycoplasma but I beleive she looks for four that are typically seen in CFS and GWI, M. fermentans, M. hominis, M. penetrans, M. pneumoniae. I have M. pneumoniae. Hope that helps.

4. zoe.a.m.

zoe.a.m. Senior Member

Olympic Peninsula, Washington
    Thanks Frickly

In the past I've been given the impression that a blood test didn't even exist for these bugs. I was told one could culture sputum (with the usual rundown of how sputum is so contaminated by the time it gets to the dish that it's useless). I had no idea any doctors were doing this! Learn something new every day here!

5. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

According to my understanding, you need to have a positive Early Ag titer for the infection to be active. Otherwise the other elevated IGG anitbodies represent past infection.

See more popular forum discussions.