• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Rupert Handgretinger:The Important role of the Natural Killer (NK) cells

leela

Interesting talk about the crucial role of NK activity/immunity, and the importance of customizing treatment for each patient:

leela

A nice way to increase NK cells, it appears:
http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/07/07/0115240/forest-bathing-considered-healthful?sdsrc=rel

"The NY Times reports that although allergies and the promise of air-conditioning tend to drive people indoors at this time of year, when people spend time in more natural surroundings — forests, parks, and other places with plenty of trees — they experience increased immune function. A study of 280 healthy people in Japan, where visiting nature parks for therapeutic effect has become a popular practice called 'Shinrin-yoku,' or 'forest bathing,' found that being among plants produced 'lower concentrations of cortisol, lower pulse rate, and lower blood pressure,' among other things. Another study in 2007 showed that men who took two-hour walks in a forest over two days had a 50-percent spike in levels of natural killer cells, and a third study found an increase in white blood cells that lasted for a week in women exposed to phytoncides in forest air."

Bob

Another study in 2007 showed that men who took two-hour walks in a forest over two days had a 50-percent spike in levels of natural killer cells, and a third study found an increase in white blood cells that lasted for a week in women exposed to phytoncides in forest air."

It's a nice thought that forests improve our health, but the quoted study does not necessarily demonstrate that forests are beneficial. (I haven't read the study.)
There are lots of allergens in forests, including a multitude of pollens, mould, bacteria, etc., so the increase in NK cells and white blood cells might just be an immune reaction to those allergens and pathogens.
Perhaps some patients (especially those with over-active immune systems) might do better in hypo-allergenic environments.

Personally, I love the countryside, and walking through forests, when well enough, but I've occasionally thought that countryside air has had a negative effect on my symptoms.
Whereas, the pure air of wind-swept coastal environments seems to help my symptoms.