Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Ronald W. Davis is optimistic at 2017 IiME Conference (video!)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ben H, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Ben H

Ben H OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    Hi guys,

A short video from Prof. Davis summing up his thoughts on the IiME conference. Enjoy :)

[​IMG]

Dr. Ronald W. Davis is optimistic at the 2017 Invest in ME Research Conference

Dr. Ron Davis, Director of the OMF Scienific Advisory Board and Director of the Stanford Genome Technology Center, conveys his excitement about the latest progress being made in ME/CFS research, especially towards discovering treatments. Speaking from the recent Invest in ME (IiME) conference in London, UK, Dr. Davis discusses how ME/CFS research is growing, enthusiastic, and most importantly, focused on how we can make an impact on patients. Watch the video here.

To help fast-track ME/CFS research, please donate to OMF.

Thanks guys,

B

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49) @AshleyHalcyoneH

dangermouse, Jo Best, rebar and 43 others like this.
  2. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    :thumbsup: Worth watching!! (only 3.5 minutes)

3. Hilary

Hilary Senior Member

UK
    Thank you, thank you a million times to Ron Davis and the other researchers who are so committed to doing what matters and helping patients. Not the slightest vestige of ego, career advancement or financial gain.

Donating every month (not much but there isn't much in the pot..) by SO to make it easy.

Thank you again:star:

TrixieStix, Dolphin, Mary and 8 others like this.
  4. eric_gladiator

eric_gladiator Senior Member

Can you read what it says somewhere?

Shoshana and Jennifer J like this.
  5. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I would like to propose that Lipkin, Solve ME/CFS, OMF, ME Action all work together towards the goal of getting the US congress to mandate a set amount of NIH funding for ME/CFS (as well as giving patients a seat on the decision making table to make sure the money is spent on good projects). That's how we're going to get the science done.

I'm pretty sure that once word gets out that there's funding for this illness, more researchers will come.

6. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Well that's actually how our job. Science is hard enough, and doesn't pay very well. I don't think they have time for politics on top of it.
    We need to take a book out of the AIDS pages and do the politics ourselves.

7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Lipkin said this a few years ago already. That's how breast cancer and autism research got funded. He may be able to advise on how to do this successfully. Patient and research organizations can do the rest.

AndyPR and Shoshana like this.
  8. mango

mango Senior Member

ETA: A proofread version of the transcript has now been published on OMF's website:
    https://www.omf.ngo/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Transcript-IiME-R-Davis-6-20-17.pdf

Here's a transcript! :) However, it has not been proof-read! Any mistakes are mine and mine only, please don't let them reflect negatively on Dr Davis is any way! Please let me know if you find any mistakes so they can be corrected.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Manganus, Jo Best, rosa and 12 others like this.
  9. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

@Ben Howell @Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Just wondering what response there was to Rons potential blood test from the other scientists from around the world? Are there any plans to make it more available? Even tho' the exact problem hasn't been identified it could be an invaluable means of confirming diagnosis (not just for patients, but participants in further research).

@TracyD has posted this video:

Plus (in the UK in particular) it could put an end to all this including ME as MUS rubbish.
    thanks
    :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Jo Best, rosa and TracyD like this.
  10. mango

mango Senior Member

Manganus, Jo Best and RL_sparky like this.
  11. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

So glad to hear Ron Davis' optimism about treatments! :thumbsup:

Do we know which 3 areas he's referring to here?

"There are now sort of three areas of possible intervention. Drug intervention that people have come up with. These all have to be tried, not necessarily in patients at first, but we have to explore them extensively."

Manganus, dangermouse and Jo Best like this.
  12. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

This was on the agenda discussed at the 2-day biomedical research workshop prior to conference day.
    The agenda is on this page (click to open each day): http://investinme.eu/BRMEC Colloquiums.shtml#brmec7

br7.JPG

Gemini, Solstice and dangermouse like this.
  13. Manganus

Manganus Senior Member

Canary islands
    Thanks a lot! :hug::heart:

I still have a bookmark for the video (to view a better day). I do like to listen to some people's voices. Ron Davis is one of them. The voice transmits some important cues. I will listen to them too. (...later).

mango and dangermouse like this.

See more popular forum discussions.