• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Ronald W. Davis Answers Patient Questions: Q and A follow-up to 2/21/17 Research Update

mariovitali

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49) @JaimeS

Just wanted to inform you that two CFS/ME Patients had Liver Elastography (Fibroscan) tests and one of them was found to have stage 1 Fibrosis (see attached pic) with a score of 7.53 kPa.

Interestingly, The person that was not found to have Fibrosis had an incident -3 days ago- of White stools after consuming for two consecutive days Grapefruit. This may not be a good sign of Hepatic / Gallbladder function.

Grapefruit is a well known P450 inhibitor.

The date shown in the photo is DD/MM/YY format

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

roller

wiggle jiggle
@Alvin2

Yes and there is a reason for that. It's a Jigsaw puzzle which is different for all of us but there are some similarities. Vitamin K related Genes is one of them (Hypothesis

Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2018 May;130(9-10):307-313. doi: 10.1007/s00508-018-1328-x. Epub 2018 Mar 2.
Vitamin K2 in multiple sclerosis patients.
Lasemi R1, Kundi M2, Moghadam NB3,4, Moshammer H1, Hainfellner JA5.
Author information

Abstract
METHODS:
We measured VK2 serum levels by the double antibody sandwich Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) technique in MS patients and age and sex matched controls, both under vitamin D supplementation, and related it to disease characteristics and treatment.
RESULTS:
The MS patients had vastly lower VK2 blood levels than controls (235 ± 100 ng/ml vs. 812 ± 154 ng/ml, respectively).
CONCLUSION:
The substantially lower levels of VK2 in MS patient
s could be due to depletion, lower production in the gut, diminished absorption or, less likely, reduced intake of precursor vitamin K1. The role of VK2 in MS development and progress deserves further study.

PMID: 29500722 PMCID: PMC5966473 DOI: 10.1007/s00508-018-1328-x

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29500722

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Could you ask Dr Davis if a Fibroscan is included among the list of tests performed to CFS/ME Patients? This test is a non-invasive way for checking Liver Fibrosis.

I searched Phoenix Rising to find any comment mentioning someone ever performing a Fibroscan to check for Liver Fibrosis. There were no hits so i felt that i should ask this explicitly.

@all

Has anyone ever performed this test?

Interesting. I actually have Liver Fibrosis and fullfill the Canadian criteria for ME/CFS. However, we think the fibrosis may have been instigated by a course of retinoids (roaccutane) a decade ago to treat acne. (Even though there was only mild LFT elevation).