Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Ronald W. Davis Answers Patient Questions: Q and A follow-up to 2/21/17 Research Update

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ben Howell, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Ben Howell

Ben Howell OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    unnamed.jpg
    Dr. Ronald W. Davis
    Answers Patient Questions:
    Q and A follow-up to 2/21/17 Research Update

Today we are pleased to present our Scientific Advisory Board Director and Director of the Stanford Genome Technology Center, Ronald W. Davis, PhD, answering patient questions about his recent 2/21/17 Research Update Video. We thank you for all your great questions. We have chosen several of them for Dr. Davis to answer in this video, produced by Ashley (Davis) Haugen.

OMF is the primary fundraising organization supporting the work of Dr. Davis' CFS Research Center team at the SGTC. As you have seen in the update video, Dr. Davis’ team has made exciting breakthroughs in understanding the molecular basis of this devastating disease. The team is now poised to unravel the complexity of CFS and start identifying potential treatments. Significant funding is needed for this to happen and your donations at every amount are critical in our mission to find treatments and a cure as fast as possible.

Please donate today and invite your family and friends to join you.

Thanks guys,

EDIT: Transcript link here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fh8c5bgez...vis - transcript of video Q&A - v0.2.pdf?dl=0

Thanks @sue la-la !

B

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    AnnaDove, mango, J.G and 66 others like this.
  2. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

I like Ron's evil genius in his lair look in this video, all he needs is a white cat to pet ;)

purrsian, J.G, MEMum and 33 others like this.
  3. eljefe19

eljefe19

Very interesting to hear him confirm that mTOR may be central to this disease, and certainly you do not want to inhibit it. I and others here already suspected this but it's exciting to hear Dr. Davis confirm.

4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, @Ben Howell - fascinating!

And yes, let's donate! :)

MEMum, Jennifer J, Solstice and 10 others like this.
  5. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I cannot help but like this man.

His responses are so informed and valuable, but also a bit troubling for those of us with both diagnoses of ME/CFS and persistent bacterial infections - the latter of which seem to warrant abx. But if abx may worsen the ME/CFS, then what do we do?

Rhetorical question, but an honest dilemma.

MEMum, Jennifer J, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  6. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Interesting what he said about antibiotics. I was on multiple courses of different antibiotics (for acne :bang-head::bang-head:) in the year I began getting ill. Might have been a factor in triggering the disease.

Just made another donation :)

7. Ben Howell

U.K.
    Thankyou so much @NL93 !

B

8. keenly

keenly

UK
    Same here!!!!!!!!!!!!

bo.panda, Jennifer J, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

They need 5$ million a year for several years. :(

Patient donations aren't going to be enough. And the NIH isn't providing enough funding. What should we do? Lobby for specific funding for this project? Go begging to billionaire philantropists?

10. keenly

keenly

UK
    God bless Dr Davis. Everything he is saying correlates to what Dr Cheney has said for years.

ballard, sb4, rebecca1995 and 4 others like this.
  11. keenly

keenly

UK
    I have never heard of mTOR before. Upon quick research; The main activator of mTOR is a variety of amino acids, especially leucine and the hormone insulin.

Does this mean we should use Leucine?

Natural Inhibitors of mTOR

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    TreePerson, John Mac, barbc56 and 5 others like this.
  12. Petko21

Petko21

Slovakia
    I began to be tired after antibiotics KLACID! I just send money for research, I hope to live to see treatment

Lissyleigh, Jennifer J, MeSci and 9 others like this.
  13. keenly

keenly

UK
    Anything we can. I asked Raymond Perrin about this. He recently met a VERY rich businessman who's daughter has CFS. The businessman is flying him over to teach a local physiotherapist his techniques.

MEMum, Jennifer J, Theodore and 10 others like this.
  14. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Interesting coincidence that I was taking anti acne medication around the time the illness started (with no apparent trigger). Guess what:

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_mTORC1_in_acne_pathogenesis_and_treatment

PS: the prevalence of this illness also peaks in teenagers (and later in women in their 30's), at a time when they would presumably be most likely to also be taking some anti acne product. But I'm done with confirmation bias and coincidences now. Just making a mental note in case mTOR really turns out to be important.

J.G, Jennifer J, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  15. keenly

keenly

UK
    I was the healthiest person in the world till I began taking antibiotics for teenage acne. Never sick for more than a day, tremendous alcohol tolerance, to the point I did not drink with mates because I found it hard to get drunk, strong, never tired and ate like a horse, without ever getting fat.

The human body works fine till it is messed with.

ljimbo423, Jennifer J, sb4 and 4 others like this.
  16. Wolfiness

Wolfiness Activity Level 0

UK
    Ohh that first question was mine!! Oh the pride!! :redface: Ashley read it out word for word which is another example of the OMF treating us with dignity, after decades of people kindly treating me as delusional despite their being unable to understand basic questions. Thank you :redface:

17. greeneagledown

greeneagledown Senior Member

I'm encouraged that he seems pretty confident a currently-existing drug will turn out to be safe and effective in ME/CFS.

18. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Very interesting. I might employ the 'hope' word... just this once ;)

19. Ben Howell

U.K.
    Thanks so much @keenly

Patient donations are helping a huge amount and are sustaining the research and allowing it to advance.

Sure we need NIH to fund, and to fund ASAP, but patients donating is incredibly empowering. It has already funded the Severely ill Big Data study, and we have funding for future studies too. Please don't underestimate patient donations, though I understand your point and agree NIH needs to fund Prof. Davis.

We do need to appeal to philanthropists so any suggestions or thoughts on that would be great. Its something OMF are working on.

Thanks so much@Petko21 !

MEMum, Jennifer J, MeSci and 28 others like this.
  20. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    This video gives me so much hope!! A big thank you to Ron, Janet and Ashley. I love how Ron is able to explain everything so that even I - a tired German with no bio-chemical knowledge - can get it.

@greeneagledown, I agree, the maybe already existing drug is one of the best parts. :)

mango, MEMum, Jennifer J and 22 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.