1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Rind's latest revelations about "adrenal fatigue"

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by drob31, Aug 11, 2014.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    yes, apparently the PVN or the paraventricular nuclues, is a part of the brain which controls adrenal function or release/supresses cortisol function is involved in what we call adrenal fatigue. Im guessing its dysfunctions is either a possible injury to the PVN or maybe its some type of fuse where it goes off as a protective mechanism but we somehow cant switch the power back on, thats just a guess though. Issues can still happen with the adrenal glands themselves but apparently its more likely the dysfunction of the PVN that causes low cortisol or irregular cortisol cycle.

Im guess this adrenal dysfunction can occur on its own, maybe a burn out type situation and probably also occurs in many chronic conditions. In cfs/me i think its probably a down stream secondary issue, many of us test low in cortisol and or dhea, so its a common abnormality found through testing?

2. Sherpa

Sherpa Ex-workaholic & adrenaline junkie

South Florida, USA
    @drob31 I understand what you are saying. I agree with you - I don't subscribe to the internet forum diagnosis of "one tired little gland" as causing all the havoc.

I am describing "adrenal fatigue syndrome" AFS - a complex system of chronic stress-induced HPA axis imbalances and deadlocked biological malfunctions that have been well documented and described by Dr. Michael Lam. His excellent book describes the progression of the syndrome, the multiple layers of dysfunction and the resulting nutritional imbalances, in a way that should prove satisfyingly informative to any open-minded doctor or sufferer wanting to understand what AFS is.. and what AFS is not.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I think you need to read more medical journals. There is research going back to the dawn of CFS including several criteria plus there was a body of research into ME before that. There were codes in the WHO ISD.

and what does "adrenal fatigue" have, any classifications? any international criteria? any research at all?

People with ME and CFS are exactly the ones who should be questioning these ideas. We are used to having flimsy, non-defined things like "functional somatic syndromes" thrown at us. Adrenal Fatigue could be another red herring and it doesn't benefit people if there is nothing there. I've spent 30 years having books recommenced to me on ideas that never amounted to more than a fringe belief.

Hopefully that will change over time for your symptoms and the cause. We can all hope for more research and certainty.

Valentijn and heapsreal like this.
  4. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

One thing that really made me think was when Dr. Rinds assistant (former astrophysicist, don't ask), mentioned that while I went through a few traumatic events, and this was 4 months ago, that people come back from war and don't have adrenal fatigue. That sort of put it into perspective.

5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    The first mistake is to treat data and not patients.

Pathology always exists on a continuum. To say that it doesn't in the case of adrenal dysfunction is ludicrous. Adrenals don't typically function perfectly one day and then realize when they have passed some arbitrary lab cutoff the next. The dysfunction is progressive and doctors should recognize the spectrum just as they do with the pancreas/diabetes. The warning signs are there many years in advance.

A leading cause of Addison's for many years throughout recent history was actually infection. Cytomegalovirus in particular is known to cause AI and many of us have chronic CMV infections. There's no reason to think that other infectious processes wouldn't similarly affect the adrenals.

See more popular forum discussions.