1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Reeves Removed from the CDC's CFS Research Program

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kati, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Lily

Lily *Believe*

Too bad we can't send him the elf version of him (Reeves) dancing hip-hop to "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" that Kim did - Geez that was funny!!!! :eek: I can't find it now, but would love to repost it!:D:Retro tongue::D:D
  2. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

Thoughts on Credit

Who can claim credit for Dr. Reeves' departure from the CFS program at CDC? Personally, I doubt we will ever know.

Maybe it was a result of the pressure applied by advocates, including the CFIDS Association, the IACFS/ME and individuals. Maybe it was a result of the embarrassment caused by Reeves' comments to the New York Times about XMRV. Maybe it was the result of CFSAC members making such strong statements about program leadership at the committee's last meeting. Or a combination of any of these. Or none of these. It may also be possible that Dr. Reeves' moved to his new position for his own reasons, and of his own volition.

All of this is pure speculation. Unless Reeves decides to speak about it, I doubt CDC will ever comment publicly about this personnel change, and it may even be against personnel policy for them to do so. (that's speculation too)

What matters is what has always mattered: making significant scientific progress towards solving CFS. I hope Dr. Unger will be a strong partner in this effort, but that effort will continue in any case.

Happy? Oh yes, I'm happy! This is an opening, an opportunity that must be seized! All of the advocates who spoke out on this issue can't take too long to catch our collective breath. Keep. Moving. Forward.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

4. muffin

muffin Senior Member

USA!
    "Senior Advisor" sounds like Reeves is a consultant and not full-time fed employee

Reeves as "Senior Advisor" sounds like he is a consultant now and not a full-time government employee. I have to wonder if they are easing him out of the CDC and forcing a retirement by allowing him to be a "Senior Advisor". Time will tell if he is indeed forced out.

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced that Dr. William C. Reeves, head of the agencys CFS Research Program, will be taking a new position within the agency effective Feb. 14, 2010 and that he will no longer lead the agencys CFS research. Dr. Elizabeth Unger will serve as acting chief of the Chronic Viral Diseases Branch, the unit within CDC that houses the CFS Research Program. On Feb. 14, Dr. Reeves will begin an assignment as Senior Advisor for Mental Health Surveillance in the Public Health Surveillance Program Office within the CDCs Office of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services."
  5. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
    I'd love to know how this came about, but I agree with Jennie that we will probably never know. I wouldn't believe Reeves anyway.
    I appreciate everybody's efforts toward this goal anyway and hope things improve greatly there.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Thanks for this, Cort and thanks to the CAA for doing all the detective work.

See more popular forum discussions.