1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Racaniello on XMRV/Contamination/Retraction

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Jemal, Dec 21, 2010.

1. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Amazing! This is such an articulate, gracious letter. He must be quite the man! Not only does it say a lot about this man's character and integrity, but also such dedication to his chosen field.
  2. free at last

free at last Senior Member

Its good to see that when some sceintists are wrong they can admit it, Bravo to the man for doing this, respect for him.
    Those in the uk will likely be less humble if and when its there turn
  3. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    Being able to say i'm wrong over and over in order to uncover the truth is what makes cheney, peterson, bell, and KDM such great doctors and researchers. Doctors (ie: Weasel-psychological, Amand-guanefisin) whose egos are too big to admit their mistake are stuck where they began which is nowhere.
  4. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    He is definitely a class act. What really makes it stand out is that he is retracting his comments, which were in part due to the very poor structure of the papers. I mean, if Dr. Racaniello has problems interpreting the papers the average reader will never get the true facts out of them. The man has immense integrity! Thanks!
  5. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Great! That's what I was waiting for. Retracting it in his blog doesn't mean nearly as much as his retracting in in the many news outlets that published Tsouderos' article.

I wonder if she actually will retract it, though. Somehow I doubt it.

I respect his integrity in this situation. :)
  6. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I think you've hit it on the head Shannah - he is dedicated to his field and the search for truth and he realizes that he inadvertently smeared that a bit in his rush to judgment, so he's cleaning up his mistake - it takes a person with a commitment to the truth that's larger than any concerns about looking good to do something like that. Very refreshing!

Here's the entire post

7. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Yes, i saw this too. And they were very fast. Scary to see how some parts of the medical system in some countries work. But it explains what we have experienced for years.
  8. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    Thankfully there are the few who still believe "Do the patient no harm"
  9. shannah

shannah Senior Member

10. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    I agree that he has integrity to confess to his mistake and retract his words but, the damage has been done.
    Most people will read the original article and will never see the retraction.
    There is tremendous responsibility that comes with publishing any scientific findings or opinions and one should not be hasty in publishing before they are sure about the facts.
    We here on the forum know about the retraction but the average reader will not know.
    If Dr. Racaniello had problems interpreting the papers or wasn't sure what they meant, he should have waited to publish his opinion.
    I'm personally not jumping from joy about this.
  11. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
  12. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    I agree with this. The more I think about it, the more I think that the only reason Racaniello issued a retraction was because he was publicly embarrassed by Dr Klein in one of the comments to his original blog (it directly contradicted one of the things he said). This clearly showed him up as not having done his homework.
  13. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Yeah, in other situations this would be discouraging. But in ME/CFS I think this has to be viewed as a major step forward. Racaniello looks foolish. I do believe that this sends a message to others that you can't print trash any longer about ME/CFS without consequences. The naysayers just might think twice about reporting crap. Who knows maybe even Trine will spend a couple of extra minutes before she writes any more fiction about ME/CFS.

See more popular forum discussions.