1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Racaniello on XMRV/Contamination/Retraction

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Jemal, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

There is a new post about XMRV possibly being a laboratory contaminant on Vincent Racaniello's virology blog:

http://www.virology.ws/2010/12/21/is-xmrv-a-laboratory-contaminant/

The Chicago Tribune is also quoting the professor in an article about the possibility of contamination:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/ct-met-chronic-fatigue-xmrv-20101220,0,5526992.story
  2. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Here's Racaniello's complete blog

http://www.virology.ws/2010/12/21/is-xmrv-a-laboratory-contaminant/

3. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Since his original post, Dr. Racaniello has added the following three updates:

4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Raccaniello has definitely reconsidered his comments to the Tribune author. He is profvrr

5. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    I've never been able to post to the Virology blog comments section, and now someone I know is trying to leave a comment and it won't work. He tried creating a "Disqus" account and it doesn't seem to want to go through. I know some of you here have posted comments to TWIV, what's the secret to making it work?

ETA: is there merely a delay for moderation? I've just tried to leave a comment myself and it simply seemed to disappear when I hit the "post" button.
  6. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    More posts of Prof R poorly defending contamination :

Gob987 [Moderator] 2 hours ago
    If patient samples were contaminated at similar rates of between 67 and 85 percent and healthy control samples were contaminated at rates between 3 and 7 percent. Then how did the patient samples get contaminated more than the healthy control samples? Lombardi was a blinded study, I forget about Lo et al.
    Flag
    7 people liked this. Like Reply Reply
    #

profvrr [Moderator] 2 hours ago in reply to Gob987
    That is a question for which there is no answer, but which is
    speculated upon in the two Coffin manuscripts published in
    Retrovirology.
    Flag
    Like Reply Reply
    #

Poptone_uk [Moderator] 1 hour ago in reply to profvrr
    And that is a cop out answer. It's a simple question. How about a simple answer? How can a supposed contaminant choose to show up in such high numbers in ME/CFS patients and at only around 4% of healthy subjects? And it does this consistently. Surely a contaminant would show up in roughly equal numbers in both sets? Something smells rotten. So an answer then and not an avoiding of the simple question?
    Flag
    5 people liked this. Like Reply Reply
    #

profvrr [Moderator] 1 hour ago in reply to Poptone_uk
    I'm not avoiding the question, these issues have been discussed
    elsewhere and there is no need to repeat them. It's simply not true
    that a contaminant would show up with equal frequency in controls and
    specimens. For example: if controls and patient samples are collected
    at different times, by different individuals, they can be contaminated
    at different rates. Patient samples also tend to be handled more often
    than controls from a blood bank, for example. In one of the
    Retrovirology papers the frequency of XMRV positives was higher in
    controls than in patient samples - and all were due to contamination.
    There is no simple answer until everyone checks assiduously for
    contamination. That's what these four papers are telling us.
    Flag
    LukeDukem liked this Like Reply Reply
    #

Poptone_uk [Moderator] 1 hour ago in reply to profvrr
    But in the great majority of studies that returned pretty much the same levels of positives in ME/CFS patients and in the health subjects they weren't just using PCR testing, and also they weren't set out on trying to prove a contamination theory (and that's all it still is), for whatever reasons and for whoever that suits. So, no, your answer doesn't satisfy me. I find it very interesting that you and so others are so hell bent on wanting the contamination theory to be proved right to the extent that you virtually ignore those that offer up totally plausible and provable explanations that this ISN'T contamination. So, just why is that, hmm?
  7. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Those of you who have been successfully able to post comments on the Virology.ws blog - were you using Mac or Windows? Which browser?

And just in case I'm going nuts - the "disqus" thingie tells me that I have made one post and received one "like", but I don't see the post! Does anyone else see a post by "urbantravels" on that blog?
  8. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I can't find your comment, sorry.
  9. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

10. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    YAY DR. R.

I seem to be able to comment now, so of course I did, on the new post. Don't know what went screwy with my past attempt to post on his blog.
  11. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Prof. Racaniello retracts his statement: XMRV and CFS, it's not the end

Prof. Racaniello has retracted his statement he made in the Chicago tribune, that the new papers concerning contamination are the end of XMRV and CFS. He made a powerful statement:

http://www.virology.ws/2010/12/22/xmrv-and-cfs-its-not-the-end/
  12. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I was so glad he made this retraction, I made a new thread about it :balloons:
  13. LaurelW

LaurelW Senior Member

Utah
    Great! Now do you want to take bets on whether Ms. Tsouderos will actually print the retractions? :tongue:
  14. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Ha, I know what I am betting. Very glad he made this retraction and not only because it helps our cause.
  15. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    He is obviously a man of high integrity, high morals, and so humble as to be able to admit a mistake and take it back.

You surely won't see this from british bastards(Weasel, McClure, Towers, etc)
  16. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    He stated that he contacted her and she said he needs to do it via a letter to the editor.
  17. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

He is even writing a letter to the Chicago Tribune, to retract his statement.

18. LaurelW

LaurelW Senior Member

Utah
    :Sign Good one:!!!!!!!
  19. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    It just shows you how the internet has empowered all patients today. This could not have happened with snail mail.
  20. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    No, unfortunately not. They are way too arrogant.

See more popular forum discussions.