1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Peterson Talks! On Ampligen, Autoimmunity, Pathogens and His New Partnership

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Hey, thanks alot Gracie Allen for your nice comments.......(I'm fine with with your post showing up several times :))

I love the image of a semantic spider web :)

Good idea on having some guide at the top for lengthy articles. If I forget to do that on the next one - please let me know...

Thanks again...

2. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Cort, your quote has massively misfired again! But these random old posts you are resurrecting are quite interesting!

CJB likes this.
  3. currer

currer Senior Member

Could this really be the Dr Yes we know, philosophising about Ayurved, spiritual energy and inner turmoil?
    Hmmmm.......!

4. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Indeed...and yes, the posts they keep turning up are really interesting :)

5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Deus ex machina? :confused:

CJB likes this.
  6. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    I miss Dr. Yes, having been around in those years too at Phoenix Rising. But we have a lot of great discussion now too!

CJB likes this.
  7. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    He was fun -very articulate, good sense of humor - and really committed to XMRV.....It was too bad he left.

8. GracieJ

GracieJ Senior Member

Utah
    Serendipity was definitely at work there. That quote was just what I needed this week.

9. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    He was a daily dose of rolling on the floor laughter. I hope he is doing OK.

Sushi

Marg likes this.
  10. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Mercer Island Wa
    I have read some of the positive reports concerning Ampligen, but I am also concerned about their checkered past. I was reading a post here: FIRST PERSON: AMPLIGEN SAGA that took a different perspective on Ampligen and I was curious about some of the questions it does raise! It's seems as if, it's a 'drug' in search for a disease. I am curious of other patient's perspective on this company run by Hemispere BioPharma and Dr. Carter especially in light of their bulldozing tactics used in this article to attempt to shut down a non-profit organization on behalf of the patient community in this article. It doesn't appear that this company is forthright either toward the patient community, nor the the investor as evident by the settlement of a class action lawsuit among investment community.
    FIRST PERSON: AMPLIGEN SAGA​
    by Danya Zucker
    From Fall 2011 Forum
    What started as "Dear Forum…" Kudos to this publication for possessing and printing the letter written to K. Kimberly Kenny (sic) by Hemispherx Biopharma, Inc. (Heb) regarding a planned article for The CFIDS Chronicle on the status of Ampligen recipients treated at a handful of sites in North America and Europe in the late 1990s, I was particularly impressed as I am one of the Ampligen patients referred to in the letter, none of whom received a copy of it — nor, obviously, did The CFIDS Association of America (TCAA) ever publish it...

Eco,

11. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Checkered past compared to what?

Merck:
    http://news.consumerreports.org/hea...es-merck-nearly-1-billion-over-vioxx-ads.html

Merck et al
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2012-03-05/health-drugmakers-fraud-fines/53372792/1

FDA (Whistleblowers)
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-government-intercepted-gmail-yahoo-messages/

Harvard University
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/21/education/21harvard.html

It's unclear to me at this time whether their ethics are any worse than anyone else's at this time. I will place my trust in my two primary MDs Nancy Klimas and Tony Komaroff. If they think it makes sense for me to take Ampligen I will consider it at that time.

Sing likes this.
  12. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Good point, floydguy--"checkered past compared to what?" I want to comment in a general way here. The perfect, the ideal, the pure or the absolute don't seem to be actual choices we get on this checkered planet and in our checkered lives, but rather, choices between the better and the worse. If every choice had to meet ideal standards before it became acceptable and permissible, we would be "stalled out" in an even more helpless and hopeless condition than we are already in. There is an up and a down side to everything--we need to look for remedies and choices which offer the best overall benefit, considering the whole picture, rather than putting the brakes on completely when things don't come up to a standard of perfection. Let's not make the ideal the enemy of the good.

And I know that we are not all exactly the same--our outcomes won't be and our choices shouldn't be all exactly the same. "Progress, not perfection" a great slogan from AA, could guide us here.

13. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
  14. Bob

Bob

South of England
    From what I've read in the past, I would agree that Ampligen is a drug looking for an illness, but what's important to us is how it works for ME patients. I don't yet know how effective it is supposed to be for ME, or what proportion of patients it works for. I haven't looked at the scientific data yet. Cort provided some links to some papers earlier, but I haven't got around to looking at them yet. But I think that's what we've got to focus on.

15. Marg

Marg Senior Member

Wetumpka Alabama
    I agree, where is he..anyone know?

16. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I'm not worried about Ampligen..I don't know how many people it works in but it's worked for enough people for me to be a believer. Hemispherx is a small drug company with a drug for a controversial disease - not a great recipe for success! ...that combination may have lead them to try all sorts of things to raise money...Maybe if wasn't ME/CFS the drug would have moved faster. Anyway the bottom line for me is that some people with this disorder really benefit alot from this drug...I don't have any doubt about that...I just don't know how many

17. Bob

Bob

South of England
    I agree with you Cort. The important thing is that the drug works. But I think it's important to know how many it works for, and by what degree. I've not got around to looking at the research yet, but it's on my list of stuff to do.

See more popular forum discussions.