• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Paul Yanick and molds

KRR

Hi, has anyone looked at Dr. Yanick's work on molds? He says that the problems attributed to gluten are really due to moldy grains. And advocates the use of very specific grain products, including whole wheat, that are mold-free. His research is quite impressive as it addresses the whole self-healing mechanism and how to restore the gut in particular. Here's a little blurb:
http://beyondrawfood.com/blog/tag/paul-yanick/

I'd be interested in opinions. In order to get his supplements you have to join his organization ($10) as a member, as he does not work with patients. The supplements are expensive but seem to be excellent quality. I am only taking his spirulina product and not his other detoxification products, because he said that since I'm still taking some pharma drugs that I couldn't do the full detox program.

And the recommended foods are expensive, which I couldn't keep up before, but it's also a matter of priorities so I'm rethinking the whole thing. The idea that gluten grains could be good for healing as long as they're mold-free (and almost all such products except a few aren't), was quite an eye-opener. I never noticed any improvement in my symptoms on a gluten-free diet anyway.

When I took dairy and wheat out of my diet, and since gluten as much as I can figure out because it's in everything, plus managed my food sensitivities I have gone from having chronic pain 24/7 to having good and bad days. But I'm not poo pooing what you've said above as I think we have to try what we need to try in order to feel better.

KRR

Oh sure, no doubt the gluten- free diet helps many people, and it's good to hear that you've had such good results. I just wonder if it could be improved on even more by limiting the moldy grains - which many grains are regardless of gluten content. At least until the gut is sufficiently healed and might become more tolerant over time.

That's an interesting point because when I was wheat free I ate still ate spelt, kamut and buckwheat and then I was having tummy issues again and rashes on my hands. Maybe a mould issue? Makes me think now. Back to having hand rashes again regardless, but I think it's from berries that were not organic and with too many pesticides for me. But then sometimes it's the water in the shower...:confused:

KRR

And then I wonder for those who are so sensitive to so many things, whether it makes sense to focus so much on avoiding all those things - which can cause so much stress due to living in such a restricted way - or whether it's wiser to focus on the main issues that are causing the system to be so sensitive in the first place. If that could be pinpointed! Dr. Yanick's focus is on healing the gut and the whole "inner physician" as he calls the natural healing power of the body, and I think the research is pretty interesting.