• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Paul Donohue at it again

This is urgent and very important. Dr. Paul Donohue has a syndicated health column across the country and on March 27, 2011, had a Q&A about CFS from a 79 year old woman with CFS. He rambled on and on about how "exercise is key to recovery" and even weight-lifting (WTF). His answers seemed to be pulled from 1995.

My in-laws just sent me a hard-copy of this (they live outside of Albany, NY) and it is so frustrating as I have gone to great lengths to educate them about the facts about the disease.

I am a severe CFS pateint and bed-ridden and don't know how to get lots of people to set this doctor and his widely read column straight.

Does anyone have a form letter of some type I/we could use. My brain doesn't have the capability to even begin to put one together.

Thanks,
Ginger

justinreilly

WTF is right! Here's one paper in which it appeared:

http://www.herald-review.com/news/o...cle_c9b7852a-573b-11e0-9a86-001cc4c002e0.html

Many approaches have to be taken. Exercise is one of them. It's ridiculous to suggest exercise to someone drained of all energy, but exercise is key to recovery. Start modestly. Five minutes is enough at first. Brisk walking provides aerobic exercise. In time, get in some resistance training - weightlifting. If weights are out of the question, exercises like push-ups, chin-ups and sit-ups will do. Gradually increase exercise time and intensity.

He really should know something about the disease before he writes in newspapers about it.

justinreilly

To save my energy, I'm not going to post on these columns since they are small papers and it was a month back. More power to you if you want to post. you can simply say that PEM means the disease gets worse with exertion, certainly the kind he is speaking of. you can put a link to the twisk and maes CBT/GET paper.

I think he might have his own website- that would be the most important to hit- try to email him directly to get his attention so he doesn't do it again.