• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Oz - Amalgam

Ian

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/toxic-teeth-are-our-amalgam-fillings-safe

Mercury is a powerful neurotoxin and, at certain levels, can cause neurological issues, autoimmune disease, chronic illnesses and mental disorders. The burning question is whether an unknown quantity of mercury vapor in our silver fillings at a constant exposure poses a significant health risk.

In 2001, the US National Health and Nutrition Examination surveyed 31,000 adults and found that the number of dental fillings correlated to the incidence of cancer, mental conditions, thyroid conditions, neurological issues (including MS), diseases of the respiratory system, and diseases of the eye. However, the United States, FDA and various Supreme Court justices determined that “the correlations do not sufficiently demonstrate causation.”

It's really time this eugenics plan was stopped entirely.

wdb

They are quite right, correlations do not demonstrate causation and additional evidence would be needed to draw such conclusions. All sorts of things correlate with poor dental health, diet, wealth, lifestyle... any one of these could equally well explain the correlation.

Ian

Amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. A material of 1% arenic or lead would never be allowed in your mouth. Mercury has similar toxicity. Common sense would dictate putting such a toxic metal into peoples mouths is a bad idea.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. A material of 1% arenic or lead would never be allowed in your mouth. Mercury has similar toxicity. Common sense would dictate putting such a toxic metal into peoples mouths is a bad idea.

I agree. Really stupid idea to put mercury in anyone's mouth. Especially considering that it's considered "a waste disposal hazard..." :aghhh: and can't be put in the garbage.

I was glad to see this segment on Dr Oz today.

wdb

I'm not asserting any opinion the safety of mercury, just that they are quite correct that a correlation does not demonstrate a causation.

Also many things were common sense until scientific study showed them to be wrong, so that is not sufficient either.

Dreambirdie

work in progress

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I fail to understand why I can get mercury put in my mouth, but cannot get a thermometer with mercury encased in glass. I cannot get those digital thermometers to work.

Ian

I fail to understand why I can get mercury put in my mouth, but cannot get a thermometer with mercury encased in glass. I cannot get those digital thermometers to work.

because if you break one, you would need to evacuate the building

mellster

Marco
While I totally agree on Amalgame, I think this a bit of an overstatement. They replaced the mercury ones because the newer technologies became available without all the health hazards. If someone would break one and leave some of the debris around it could be easily ingested by a baby or eventually vapors may dissipate, so you were advised to get all kids out of the room and clean it up throroughly (NO vaccum cleaner) while wearing some old clothes - I don't think an immediate whole building evacuation is necessary though ;)

http://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/chemicals/hsees/mercury/cleaning_up_a_small_mercury_spill.htm

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
So why don't they encase the mercury in clear plastic or something unbreakable? Those digital things are useless. I have had several and none of them worked. If I ever get around to it, I am going to look for the mercury thermometer I had for my horses.

golden

The amount of Mercury spillage was only the equivalent amount of the rubber on the end of a pencil!!

But hang on....

Officials said it would actually only take an amount of Mercury equivalent to the point on the pencil to contaminate the whole building!

:-/

mellster

Marco
That's true, IF it disperses. Schools an other office buildings have vent systems and you don't know exactly what happened and how long it has been there and if there is more, so the reaction is reasonable. That's why you have to react immediately to clean it up.

jeffrez

We should ask that they put lead in fillings. Why not? The metal doesn't leak out once it's amalgamated with the other materials, right? What bullsh*t.

So glad to see Dr. Oz on board with educating the public about the dangers of dental mercury. After his recent stance on GMOs I was starting to dismiss him as a hack. Seems like there still might hope for him after all.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I agree, this stuff shouldn't be in our mouths, I don't think we have to prove definitely that it causes bad effects in the human body before we decide to err on the side of caution and not use it going forward.

So I think the question becomes - should we have them removed if we have them? Apparently there is a huge exposure risk with doing just that. It was interesting to note that one of the doctors on Dr. Oz said that if you grind your teeth, that might be a good reason for removal. Probably many of us fit this category. The breakdown of the amalgen is more likely to happen with grinding.

jeffrez

I agree, this stuff shouldn't be in our mouths, I don't think we have to prove definitely that it causes bad effects in the human body before we decide to err on the side of caution and not use it going forward.

So I think the question becomes - should we have them removed if we have them? Apparently there is a huge exposure risk with doing just that. It was interesting to note that one of the doctors on Dr. Oz said that if you grind your teeth, that might be a good reason for removal. Probably many of us fit this category. The breakdown of the amalgen is more likely to happen with grinding.

Right, and what about electrical effects? Those are gone immediately as soon as they're removed, which I believe is one reason many people have an immediate improvement following removal. I say this because it's how it happened for me. When the mercury amalgams were taken out, I improved substantially within 36 hours (after being in bed for months), but then when gold crowns were put in, I started going downhill again immediately, until those were also removed and replaced with 100 percent porcelain (no gold or metal on the part that adheres to the tooth). So whether it's toxic exposure, electrical effects, or genuine allergy, Hg (or most metals) imho really shouldn't be in people's mouths.