Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Naviaux's Suramin & Autism Trial - publication and interview

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, May 26, 2017.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

Results from suramin autism trial are now available and they are very encouraging. Detailed information is available on N of One website including this interview which contains extensive information not available in the actual paper.

http://www.nofone.org/dr-naviaux-q-and-a-suramin

I'll post a link to the paper as soon as it is up online.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Manganus, Dufresne, Mary and 22 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Very interesting.

Notjustfatigue likes this.
  3. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

4. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

From the Nofone article. He took out $500 000 of debt in his name to fund the study.

Mel9, Binkie4, Sushi and 5 others like this.
  5. Demepivo

Sancar, MEMum, Notjustfatigue and 2 others like this.
  6. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

There is a very large industry of mental health and education professionals who stand to lose everything if the current paradigm (autism is an incurable neurodevelopmental disorder) were overthrown and replaced by the metabolic hypothesis. I'm not surprised to hear that he has had to go into $500k debt and that no conventional funding source such as the NIH wanted to touch this work. I expect him to receive a lot of pushback for this sort of work, along the lines of the slanderous attacks he's been getting for his CFS work. Given that his hypothesis makes sense and that he has already demonstrated reversibility of ASD symptoms in several animal models of ASD, it would make perfect sense for the government to fund this sort of work. If this were cancer, everyone would be jumping on it in a hot minute, but since it's something "behavioural" like autism or CFS, the invisible forces of the medical establishment work to stifle progress.

7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Patients need to get organized and pressure politicians to fund this research, as well as financing research via donations.

Medical research needs to be about the patient, not about the profits and careers of others.

Susanna D, Sing, ljimbo423 and 8 others like this.
  8. shannah

shannah Senior Member

9. Demepivo

10. Demepivo

11. Demepivo

12. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member

Tasmania
    In the interview linked to in the original post, Naviaux said:
    I would have thought this suggests there should be a higher incidence of me/cfs in people with autism than the general population. Are there any studies that suggest this?

MEMum and Notjustfatigue like this.
  13. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

How would you go on about diagnosing ME in someone who is non-verbal/does not communicate?

How would you express/explain your own symptoms if you had no words and couldn't write etc? What would your behaviour be like? And especially if you developed those symptoms and feelings when you were too young to know of any other, ie 'normal' state of being? Hypothetical question but I am genuinely interested :)

14. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member

Tasmania
    Autism covers a large spectrum. Not all are non verbal. My interest is I have an adult son with Aspergers who has developed POTS recently (diagnosed via tilt table). With me having ME for 23 years, I find the connection interesting.

Manganus, Mary, ukxmrv and 13 others like this.
  15. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

That is correct, although judging from what is known on many other health conditions, their incidence as well as severity correlates with severity of autism. So in theory one could expect to find more severe symptoms of CFS in more severely affected individuals, who in turn would only be able to express symptoms as behaviours...

ukxmrv and Notjustfatigue like this.
  16. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member

Tasmania
    In the n=1 sample of my son, the gradual onset of POTS is clear in hindsight (although it was not so clear at the time).

Manganus and Notjustfatigue like this.
  17. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member

Tasmania
    A study of the incidence of me/cfs in a group with high functioning autism would be an interesting check of Naviaux's theory though.

Manganus, ukxmrv, alex3619 and 3 others like this.
  18. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

One problem with the study is that the drug caused a rash in all recipients that compromised the blinding for parents.

barbc56, Aroa, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  19. Demepivo

20. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

Parents talk about how their children improved with Suramin.

subject #1

subject #2

subject #3

subject #4

subject #5

Lots more detail here http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/biotech/sd-me-autism-parents-20170525-story.html

At least two report 'disappearance of nasal quality' in child's voice.

Manganus, Mary, Sing and 20 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.