1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Myhill wins back her licence to practise

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Supporters of Dr Myhill, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Supporters of Dr Myhill

Supporters of Dr Myhill Guest

UPDATE=========

Sarah has her next IOP with the GMC on 31st March. This is the standard 3 month review IOP that GMC rules require them to do.
    The High Court hearing will now happen in March or April.

2. Supporters of Dr Myhill

Oh dear I meant April or May. Sorry!

3. Supporters of Dr Myhill

Dr Myhill has her next IOP with the GMC tomorrow. (31 March)

As soon as I have any news I will post it here on this forum.

This IOP is a follow up review to the previous ones (3 monthly review)

4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Good luck and to all.

5. Supporters of Dr Myhill

No news as yet - Sarah is in the IOP at the moment delivering her speech.

6. Supporters of Dr Myhill

IOP now making its decision.

7. Supporters of Dr Myhill

IOP DECISION - The full determination will be sent to Sarah by email tonight. In essence the restrictions remain in force although the ones regarding prescribing we believe have been slightly relaxed. More details will follow when Sarah has had a chance to look through it all.

8. duckndive

duckndive

9. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    This just sucks. It's not bad enough that they subject ME patients to their psychobabble nonsense, but now they are willing to punish any doctor who tries, in good faith, to offer real treatment. Of course, this isn't aimed just at Dr Myhill, but at any doctor who might look at the evidence (or at the patients!) and conclude they are seriously ill and need serious treatment. Do so and you will lose your license to practice medicine at all, they proclaim. And the medical professionals stand blithely by and let it happen.

It sickens me.

10. toddm1960

toddm1960 Senior Member

Rochester, New York
    No covering up going here ;) This is definitely group think, if that group thinks you or the patient is crazy........then you are.:oops:

11. Lucinda

Lucinda Senior Member

UK
    Does this mean Dr Myhill is still not allowed to prescribe B12 and Magnesium injections? I am a patient of hers and really want these injections.

12. Supporters of Dr Myhill

The key difference between the January 2011 IOP and this one is exemplified by the following change to restriction 6:

====================================================================================================
    The January 2011 determination included point 6 as below:

6. You may only prescribe or advise the prescription of medication for which a prescription is necessary:
    a. In accordance with the guidelines as laid down in the British National Formulary (BNF) and also National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines where appropriate, and
    b. For a clinical condition for which it is intended or indicated as laid down in the BNF and also NICE guidelines where appropriate, and
    c. Not exceeding the maximum safe recommended daily dosage, and
    d. Not outside the uses permitted by its licence.

whereas the most recent IOP included point 6 as:

6. You may only prescribe or advise the prescription of medication for which a prescription is necessary, in accordance with the guidelines as laid down in the British National Formulary (BNF) and also National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines where appropriate
    ==================================================================================================
    Under GMC rules they have to call a Fitness to Practise hearing within 18 months of the original IOP - so that is by October this year.

But of course court proceedings may well happen before that.

That is all I can say for now. I am sorry.

Thanks for your continued support,

13. Lucinda

Lucinda Senior Member

UK
    I contacted the office, and found out Dr M is now allowed to prescribe B12 and magnesium injections. Good news!

14. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Takes the establishment here long enough to catch up. ! Good news for Dr Myhill and all her patients at last.

15. Supporters of Dr Myhill

Thanks for all your positive input.

We will keep you updated on all fronts as and when we can.

16. Supporters of Dr Myhill

Referral of GMC to Equality and Human Rights Commission

I have today received a letter confirming that the relevant department within the Equality and Human Rights Commission is to investigate potential equality institutional issues within the GMC regarding the implementation of its disciplinary rules and regulations.

This is as a result of a complaint that I have made with respect to these issues.

I will keep you as posted as I am able within the restriction that exist whilst such an investigation is taking place.

17. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Looking forward to hearing.

See more popular forum discussions.