Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Montoya's Valcyte study

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Robin, Nov 6, 2009.

1. JMK

JMK

I took Valcyte for two months and experienced horrendous side effects. All of my symptoms became much worse and I lost over half of my hair. I had planned to keep taking it, however, hoping to tough it out in hopes of eventually seeing improvement. However, after 2 months, my insurance refused to pay for it-thank God. BTW-I also take cortef and had for several months prior to starting the Valcyte. I personally feel that detox issues need to be addressed before doing any heavy duty anti-fectious treatment, as our bodies are already in such a weakened state. The only anti-fectious treatment that I've been able to tolerate is Immunovir. I experienced 3 months of significant improvement while taking it (I took it for 5 months). Unfortunately, it stopped working after that, not sure why, though I plan to try it again at some point.

2. Navid

Navid Senior Member

YIKES....that's scary. sorry you went through that. well after further consultation w/my doc...looks like i'll hold off on valcyte for the time being. can't afford to risk my current baseline w/the potentially horrendous side-effects.

thanks, lisa

3. jose luis

jose luis Guest

Barcelona (Spain)
    Valcyte

Hi Lisa,
    quiet. I took Valcyte 6 months. I improved a little at 2-3 months, but then I did not.
    The worst feeling was at 2 weeks coincided with a sharp fall in monocytes, your doctor should monitor. It was a bad feeling but it only lasted 1 day. Once I started taking 2 tablets daily and had no discomfort
    Drink plenty of water.
    Un abrazo,
    Jose Luis

4. Julia Rachel

Julia Rachel

California
    Yes....people are still being treated with Valcyte and with great success. The die off period lasts from 30-120 days max. If you have HHV-6A titers = to or greater than 3x positivity + high EBV IGg titers plus 4 out of the 6 criteria for treatment and all other diseases have been ruled out, you are a candidate for Valcyte. It saved my sons life; literally. It has helped me tremedously. What I have read in the above statements is not at all what I know to be true about Valcyte. Blessings.Julia....http://vlgonvalcyte.wordpress.com/

5. Robin

Robin Guest

Julia, I'm glad to hear about you and your son!

I'm presuming that you're Montoya patient? What are the 6 criteria for treatment?

6. Julia Rachel

Julia Rachel

California
    The criteria are listed in the Montoya protocol sheet from the Journal of Science. I will post these in my next blog!! Blessings.Julia http://vlgonvalcyte.wordpress.com/
    PS./..we have not been a Montoya Patient thus far...

See more popular forum discussions.