1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Mikovits of the WPI to Host Live Q&A Session Regarding XMRV 22nd Jan

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by oerganix, Dec 9, 2009.

1. kurt

kurt Senior Member

USA.Earth
    She said something about waxing and waning of viral load, and the timing of the blood draw may be very important to get a PCR positive. They had multiple samples from the patients in the study, so could find the 'most positive' for each person.

That is only true if the antibody testing and PCR are reliable, because PCR must be used to establish the validity of antibody testing, and an antibody must be used to read the cultured sample.

That part did not make sense to me. Older infections will certainly be harder to treat, because with retroviral infections after a certain point the virus is established in your own DNA. From that point on you have to treat the down-stream effects of the infection more aggressively. But you still can stop further replication of the retrovirus with ART, and in time, once your own cells have been replaced, the retrovirus should be mostly out of your DNA. But that could take several years, some cells are replaced more slowly, and some neural cells are never replaced, so I guess if the retrovirus is in the nerve DNA you may just have to treat neural symptoms for the rest of your life. Maybe that was what she meant.

2. Hysterical Woman

Hysterical Woman Senior Member

East Coast
  3. Hysterical Woman

East Coast
  4. Lily

Lily *Believe*

Knackered maybe this will help - Back in November, Dr. Klimas responded to a question from a woman in the the audience who asked specifically, if
    Dr. Klimas responded:
    Perhaps that is what Dr. Mikovits intended to infer. I think that's pretty hopeful.

5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I just checked--it is just the first 27 minutes. Maybe later they will put the rest up?

Sushi

6. Knackered

Knackered Guest

Wow thanks!, I feel so much better now, I'm only 26!

THANKS I think I'll sleep easier tonight. I was so worried.

7. Hysterical Woman

East Coast
  8. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Hysterical Woman!

I just checked--it is just the first 27 minutes. Maybe later they will put the rest up?

Sushi

9. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    From the ProHealth web site:

10. boomer

boomer Senior Member

treatment

Yes, there have been people with AIDS that were a couple of weeks from dying that got on medication and are hiking and doing well. However, I didn't listen with my ear to her presentation the whole time but I got the impression that they have not found any medication for now that can be used. I figure that several months have gone by now and I am sure every combination and purmutation of drugs has been tried and yet no mention of any effective treatment. Not even AZT which has been in a trial. I am a little disappointed.

11. Hysterical Woman

East Coast
    Hi Sushi,

We were cross posting, yep only the first 27 minute. I got it from Facebook, but there was a comment that they were having the same problems as many others who watched it, I don't think they will be able to add the rest.

Maxine

12. Hysterical Woman

East Coast
  13. bluebonnet

bluebonnet

Did she say that an antiviral only targets viruses; it wouldn't target a retrovirus? That to target a retrovirus, you have to have an antiretroviral?

14. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Yes. That's why she said that taking antivirals when you were tested for XMRV would not have affected the result. (Which isn't what VIPdx said, is it? I thought they were saying to lay off the antivirals before you're tested...)

15. Knackered

Knackered Guest

If it turns out XMRV is the cause now and I'm able to get better and get a job Dr Mikovits's going get a huge bunch of flowers from me. I won't say what Wessely's going to get if I run in to him!

16. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Comments

Didn't get to listen to it. But read all the comments. I see my question was answered. I asked if supplements to boost immune system, particularly Nk Cells might cause the virus to be turned on and speed up replication. I see she said supplements for NK cells might be helpful.

Also, I see she said what I have been saying on these boards again and again, female sex hormones trigger the virus which may explain why women likely get the illness more than men. But that doesn't mean the men don't have the virus.

Also, I notice she agrees with Bateman and Klimas that it is vertically transmitted.

I found the comments about treating early interesting, especially since there isn't a treatment for XMRV yet. But it does match what I think. I think the virus being active for a long time, the secondary viruses flourishing, can lead to an immune dysfunction that becomes stuck and can't recover on its own. Well, some recover over years. But don't fret, most immune system dysfunctions can be treated. I expect that even if they can't stop the progression that XMRV causes, they will find treatments for the immune system, too.

Tina

17. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Although useful to have, I don't expect those are exactly the slides she used. They are the slides when she spoke at the Invest in ME conference in London in May 2009 before the XMRV connection was announced to the world. Maybe some are the same.

18. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    Cheers Tom sorry. and oops

19. Lily

Lily *Believe*

Those don't look like today's to me:Retro smile: At least not the ones she used during the first 35 minutes:Retro tongue:

20. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    usedtobeperkytina,

Do you know offhand any supplements to boost nk function? I came across AHCC, which looks very intriguing.

See more popular forum discussions.