Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Martin Rhisiart 'killed himself after ME diagnosis' BBC news South East Wales

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Jo Best, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  2. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

I saw this courtesy of Adam Lowe on Twitter.

barbc56, moosie and Invisible Woman like this.
  3. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

Oh no, that's awful!

4. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    Very sad

Jennifer J, barbc56, Hilary and 3 others like this.
  5. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Oh dear.. Rip.

I would assume two weeks apparently with little to no sleep played a huge role here..

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Very sad.

I'm sure many of us have had points where we have struggled to go on (which is not necessarily the same as wanting to die).

I wish there was a way we could show Joe Public the grim realities of ME.

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

And no effective help from the medical system.

9. mhrps

mhrps

So sad, lack of sleep may induce strong suicidal ideation. I think his case was actually very similar to mine. I was also diagnosed with dep&anxiety.

HowToEscape?, barbc56 and Jo Best like this.
  10. Hip

Hip Senior Member

If the ME/CFS-triggering virus he likely caught was anything like mine, the depression and anxiety may have been worse than any of the ME/CFS symptoms he was suffering from, in terms of causing suicidal ideation.

My virus triggered anxiety, depression, anhedonia and blunted affect in myself and in a few others who caught the same virus. Only later did this virus appear to trigger my ME/CFS. I find my ME/CFS symptoms themselves don't induce suicidal ideation (although I am fortunate enough not to suffer from horrible ME/CFS symptoms like muscle pain or migraines); but I find the depression and anhedonia certainly do.

Medical science has been far too slow to appreciate the role that contracting a chronic infection can have on health status. When people are fine one minute, and the next minute they are inexplicably suffering from severe anxiety, depression or dysphoria (without any good reason in their life for this to occur), then I think infection should be suspected and investigated. But this investigation very rarely happens.

It makes no sense that someone can be perfectly healthy mentally and physically, and then without any obvious reason, all of a sudden start suffering from anxiety or depression. Scientific explanations are based on uncovering cause and effect, and so when there is a sudden inexplicable mental or physical health status change, there must be a cause. The acquisition of a new virus or bacterium in the body is, in my view, a good candidate to explain such sudden health status changes.

bspg, Richard7, Dolphin and 11 others like this.
  11. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

This is obviously a very sad item of news - condolences to the family of Dr Martin Rhisiart

Suicidal thoughts or intentions must always be taken seriously in someone with ME/CFS - because suicides do sadly occur

Here is a brief summary of actions, along with sources of help and support (in the UK) if you should find yourself in this situation, or you are caring for someone who is expressing suicidal thoughts or intentions

Firstly, you must speak to your GP about what is happening - the GP acts as gatekeeper to the various mental health professionals that may well be required in this situation, especially where suicidal thoughts are linked to very low mood or depression

Secondly, you could speak to the Samaritans if the situation becomes more desperate or acute -

telephone number: 08457 909090

website: http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us?gclid=CKfh_badudMCFYoQ0wodsa0NZg

Thirdly, you (or your carer/partner) could speak to one of our professionally trained volunteers on the ME Connect helpline (contact details on the MEA website: www.meassociation.org.uk) which is available morning, noon and evening 7 days a week.

Our helpline volunteers are very used to helping and supporting people with ME/CFS in this type of very difficult situation

We also have an MEA information leaflet covering depression in ME/CFS which may be helpful:http://www.meassociation.org.uk/shop/management-leaflets/antidepressants/

Daily Mail coverage:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4858040/Professor-advised-government-hanged-himself.html

Dr Charles Shepherd
    Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

12. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Today is Day 1 of an international conference in UK on Functional Neurological Disorders. (ETA here's a PR thread on that: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ychogenic-neurological-disorders-6-sep.53652/)
    On one hand that is the next hurdle in helping Joe Public understand the grim realities of this disease, but on the other hand, as so many other diseases or disorders are being brought under this umbrella perhaps that gives a better chance of the general public (and wider medical profession) to question these diagnoses.

Jan, Marky90, slysaint and 2 others like this.
  13. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Very sorry to hear that and hope you are ok.

barbc56 and Invisible Woman like this.
  14. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

15. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

I agree with you and I was interested to read in this paper published yesterday:
    The link to that paper was posted here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...rome-in-health-and-disease.54015/#post-897178

My own case was mild at onset and was diagnosed within weeks as post-viral fatigue syndrome and I was very fortunate not to experience low mood until a few years into the illness and no anxiety until I was on the verge of physical collapse, as it's taken a progressive course in my case. ETA, my diagnosis was changed to myalgic encephalomyelitis when I hadn't recovered after a year or so, and a few years later my doctor told me that ME was now being called chronic fatigue syndrome (this was in UK).

justy, barbc56 and Hip like this.
  16. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Senior Member

UK
    :bang-head: ME is not fatigue.

HowToEscape?, barbc56 and Jo Best like this.
  17. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Is it any wonder that some people lose hope when given this diagnosis and look to the NHS for information.

18. Hip

Hip Senior Member

To be fair, the BBC article does not equate ME with fatigue, but correctly says the ME causes persistent fatigue (ie, that persistent fatigue is one of its symptoms).

19. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

I see it links to the new awful NHS pages

Jo Best likes this.
  20. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I wonder if that was a factor, knowing how the NHS treats pwme.

See more popular forum discussions.