1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Marshall-Gradisnik aims to develop a fast accurate commercial CFS test

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by shrewsbury, Dec 28, 2009.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Tom Kindlon's submission to CO-CURE was posted today Dec 28 09

I find this article potentially very exciting - a 3 year grant "to develop a commercially viable test kit to diagnose CFS faster and more accurately as well as establishing guidelines for diagnosis.

Interesting in that the lead, Dr Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik, is an Associate Professor of Biochemistry and Cell Biology

But also frustratingly vague - "We came up with potentially some markers that diagnose CFS" what markers??

and "Dr Marshall-Gradisnik said large research institutions, excited at the possible innovation to CFS diagnosis, had already contacted her and offered to collaborate on the project." which large institutions??

and in my darker moments a bit ominous perhaps?
    -
    - "Diagnosing CFS is a lengthy process costing the community hundreds of millions of dollars a year in consultations, treatments and lost work hours."

- 'We hope to unearth a quicker method of detection which will free up the health system and limit the cost to the community,'

- In 2002, the Royal Australian College of Physicians reported one in four people who visited their general practitioner complaining of fatigue were diagnosed with CFS. In the same year, the RACP predicted diagnosis, detection and ancillary services cost the Australian community in excess of $525 million.

(bolds are mine)
  2. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Looks interesting. I hope they come up with something.
  3. Samuel

Samuel Bedbound with NO DOCTOR

It looks potentially interesting, but vague. My morbid first impression was "another questionnaire asking us about our toilet training?" :/. But maybe they will actually draw a tube of blood and look at the results :). If, that is, that is cheaper than CBT/GET :/.

I hope that comment makes people smile wryly -- at worst :).

In general, we need to shift from "what NOW?" mode to "we are strong as a group and we demand NOW!" mode. And we can.
  4. susan

susan Senior Member

Gold Coast Australia
    I am going into this study. They have lots of money and working with WPI I believe. See her on Jan 15th
  5. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Oh how wonderful Susan. There is an eager audience here for anything you're able and willing to share about the experience.

6. susan

susan Senior Member

Gold Coast Australia
    My friend has had her visit and she spent about 30 mins talking with her...told her Klimas is coming here in July August. Heard a whisper a wealthy lady with CFS is throwing any money they want...cant confirm that. I am going to take my test results I did with Metermetrex, Oraganic acid, stool and hair....show heaps of defects.
  7. mgb

mgb

Hi I am also involved in this study. I had blood tests in december. They will be giving us some results around april. We were told that they will also be testing for XMRV.
  8. Hysterical Woman

Hysterical Woman Senior Member

East Coast
    Very exciting, mgb.

Would you be willing to share your information with us when you get it?

Thanks,

Maxine

See more popular forum discussions.