• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Lipkin's Study

Can somebody explain to me what the Lipkin study will be looking at and how it will be done? Will it be XMRV only or looking for a wider range of HGRVs?

Andrew

If you are talking about the CFI study, my understanding is he's been hired to look for an infectious agent that could be causing CFS, regardless of whether it's a previously identified agent.

ixchelkali

Can somebody explain to me what the Lipkin study will be looking at and how it will be done? Will it be XMRV only or looking for a wider range of HGRVs?

There are two Lipkin studies of ME/CFS. The first is a blinded study of detecting XMRV. The next is the Chronic Fatigue Initiative study of pathogenesis, which will simultaneous look at 20 pathogens other than XMRV for association with ME/CFS. Just which pathogens hasn't been announced yet.

redo

The next is the Chronic Fatigue Initiative study of pathogenesis, which will simultaneous look at 20 pathogens other than XMRV for association with ME/CFS. Just which pathogens hasn't been announced yet.

+1 for posting ixchelkali. I haven't heard that (haven't been doing much reading lately). That's great news!

Hi ixchelkali, Thanks for the info.:D

Also I was wondering, is there a list of those 20 pathogens Ian Lipkin will be searching for? Also how true is it that he will NOT be looking for Retro Virus?