• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Les Simpson...Able to Identify CFS by Blood Cell Shape

MadeleineKM

Very very interesting. I have Lyme and I dont think I had unormal d lactate levels, my sister and brother is in same situation and none of them either had unnormal d lactate I think but I have to check. I have been so interested in if there is several types of ME and I think Ritux would be dangerous in those with infections

gregh286

I think that why some of find alcohol really useful due to dilation properties.
However....it has a boom then bust effect as we feel totally worse next day.
My best guess is primary improvement by the dilation effect but high payback due to the oxidative stresses created and possible further damage to rbc and/or endothelium.

MadeleineKM

I emidiately get worse from alcohol. It feels like the veins get even more tight. Like a burning feeling everywhere. Dont know what that means :)

gregh286

As I said earlier, piracetam is quite effective for these blood flow problems :

Arzneimittelforschung. 1993 May;43(5):526-35.
Treatment of the Raynaud's phenomenon with piracetam.
Moriau M1, Lavenne-Pardonge E, Crasborn L, von Frenckell R, Col-Debeys C.
Author information

Abstract
Piracetam (Nootropil, CAS 7491-74-9) has been investigated in the treatment of primary and secondary Raynaud's phenomenon in three sequential and complementary studies. The first study in 20 patients with primary Raynaud's phenomenon, utilising clinical and ultrasound examination, capillaroscopy and laboratory tests established a daily dose of 8 g as most effective. The second study in 58 patients (47 primary, 11 secondary) confirmed the therapeutic efficacy of piracetam in both primary and secondary Raynaud's phenomenon. The third study, of crossover design, in 30 patients with severe Raynaud's syndrome, examined various agents given singly or in combination. The results not only confirmed the efficacy of piracetam but in addition allowed comparison of the efficacy of the principal therapeutic agents or regimens used in the treatment of Raynaud's syndrome and the formulation of a list of these therapies in decreasing order of efficacy, thus: piracetam 4 g/d + buflomedil 600 mg/d; piracetam 8 g/d; buflomedil 600 mg/d; piracetam 4 g/d + acetylsalicylic acid 100 mg/d; pentoxifylline 1200 mg/d; calcium antagonists; ketanserin 120 mg/d. The particular efficacy of 8 g piracetam daily in 3 divided doses at 8-hourly intervals can be attributed to its unique dual mode of action; inhibition of platelet function by inhibition of thromboxane A2 synthetase or antagonism of thromboxane A2 and increased formation of prostaglandin I2, together with a rheological effect involving reduction in blood and plasma viscosity through an increase in cell membrane deformability and a reduction of 30-40% in the plasma concentrations of fibrinogen and von Willebrand's factor. In addition, the administration of piracetam appears to be devoided of adverse effects.

PMID:8328997

Thats great.thanks adreno. Simpsons treatment was evening primose which also had increase effect of prostagladin. Prehaps piractem is more effective.

barbc56

I see 2 distinct groups...lyme and non lyme cfs. Results differ in these 2 groups

Just because two conditions have overlapping symptons does not make them the same. You can certainly have both.

Lyme can be a trigger of CFS but I haven't seen the terms mono me/cfs or heart failure me/cfs.

Maybe I misread your post?

Barb

gregh286

Small vessel perfusion problems are studied at this moment by different groups one in the Netherlands, Fluge and Mella and also Dundee. They have found something. :)

If this was the case would it not be a constant that everyone.with raynauds should have cfs/me.?
Still biased towards blood cell issues over perfusion.

gregh286

I have major blood flow issues and struggle to get air. Feets,hands and parts of my face randomly turn dark blue and gets ice cold. Some place on my feet this has happen so often that the area is without feeling anymore. In the microscope the bloodcells wasnt floating like they should do and they just clumped together. I think the man had a point, or was it a lady?

Well rouleax condition where they are stacked.or joined is medically accepted. I think it is diagnosed with esr. Is your ESR rate high?

MadeleineKM

Well rouleax condition where they are stacked.or joined is medically accepted. I think it is diagnosed with esr. Is your ESR rate high?
. Mine are also concave and lots of themhad leaky cell wall. My ESR have never been high if it is the test I think it is, CRP in Norwegian? But innflammation tests are often high, the mainstream doc says I have closed inflammation in the body. My immunesystem is quite low so I never had any response on the innflammations, not even when bigger part of the body had infection where healthy people show high fighting response on bloodtests. Difficult to explain in English :) Great article, very informed. Have to take more time on that one :)

Murph

:)
Just for interest: I found this in a very old forum

Judith: I have tried trental as per the following e-mail I received from Dr.
Simpson. Folks
should remember he is not an M.D.
Subject:
Trental
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 12:04:27 GMT +1200
"Les Simpson" <L...@jin.otago.ac.nz>
Organization:
University of Otago
To:
dqu...@intergate.bc.ca

Hello Doug,
Here in NZ the recommended dose of Trental is 3x400 tabs daily.
Unfortunately I have no personal experience, but a GP (who was killed
in a freak car accident) used it regularly for his ME patients
evidently with some success. In taking Trental there is a
primary assumption that either blood viscosity is increased and/or red
cells are less deformable that usual. Do you have any indication
that these aspects apply to you? If you have started on Trental,
does this mean that evening primrose oil or fish oil have been tried
without success? I would not persist longer than 2 weeks on the drug
unless there were clear benefits.
Best wishes,
Les Simpson.

Murph

:)
And for what it's worth, a later study finding a positive effect of evening primrose oil and fish oil in a cohort of patietns with rheumatoid arthritis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26758438

I must say the name evening primrose oil sets something off in me that makes me think it is hippy-dippy nonsense but there is no reason it can't have active compounds in it and I should probably try to overcome my prejudices!