Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Komaroff & Dr Iskander "Beyond the Data" CDC discussion on YouTube

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Seems to be some sort of spin-off of the recent CDC Grand Rounds thing:

What's the deal with these CDC doctors being in military uniform? We see them in CFSAC meetings too.

shannah, Valentijn, Justin30 and 9 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Dr Komaroff comes over well in this (as do we, in his account of us).

3. Kati

Kati Patient in training

i didn't watch the video yet but I was impressed by Dr Komaroff's talk at CDC grand rounds, he really did stand up for science. i hope that his work can be better leveraged for better research funding and education for physicians.

Valentijn, Jennifer J, beaker and 4 others like this.
  4. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    yeah, he is on our team, just wish he had produced more hard hitting research in all his years of being an advocate/researcher.

GG

medfeb and Kati like this.
  5. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I'm so impressed with Komaroff in this video. He really knows his stuff (i.e. the nature of the illness and its history, and he's very familiar with the research literature) and he talks a lot of sense. I hope a lot of medical professionals get to watch this video.

MEMum, Valentijn, Johannawj and 7 others like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

The U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corp (PHSCC) grew out of the Marine Hospital Service, established in 1798, to care for disabled seamen. That's why their uniforms resemble those of U.S. Navy officers. They are a non-military uniformed service. I believe that NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) is also a non-military uniformed service.

Somewhat incongruously, the second highest officer of PHSCC is the U.S. Surgeon General, a title that came about during the civil war. He holds the rank of vice admiral, so, you have a "general" who actually holds the rank, and wears the uniform, of a vice admiral. The Assistant Secretary of Public Health may hold the rank of admiral, or not hold a rank at all.

The uniform is slightly different from a U.S. Navy uniform in that the insignia on the cover (hat) replaces one of the two anchors on the Navy insignia with a caduceus. The shoulder board and sleeve insignia, which is a star in the US Navy, is a single anchor perpendicular to a caduceus in the PHSCC. The brass buttons also have a different insignia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    moosie, Sasha, sarah darwins and 2 others like this.
  8. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    That was excellent. How many physicians who saw the Grand Rounds will go on to watch this "Afterwards" video? I found it much better than the actual Grand Rounds. The only thing I liked better in the Grand Rounds was that Dr. Komaroff used ME/CFS...and in this video it was all "chronic fatigue syndrome" (which continues to grate on me every time I hear that name.) In this new video, he talked about the proposed SEID name, but didn't mention ME. But he does a great job emphasizing all the biological abnormalities. I would love to hear doctors educated more about the severity and quality of life issues we face as patients....but at least the message "it's real, it's biological, it's being researched because we need a biomarker" came through.

9. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    Oh, and I really appreciated that he emphasized that most patients do NOT get well. Some have some improvement, but often relapse, and most never return to full health. When I was diagnosed, I kept being told it would just get better on its own. I realize no doctor can predict the future, but it caused unnecessary misery to be told "most people get well with no treatment" because I wondered what was wrong with me that I couldn't make myself better like I was supposed to. I think it has also been an excuse for offering NO treatment or even palliative care sometimes - that myth of "it'll just get better on its own."

Valentijn, Sasha, Comet and 7 others like this.
  10. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Have a link to this?

GG

11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Just finished watching this. It was excellent. Seems like something that could be shared with a doctor who was not familiar with the disease which would, if nothing else, leave them with the impression that it was being taken seriously by top researchers.

Jennifer J and Bob like this.
  12. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Jennifer J and Gemini like this.
  13. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    I was referring to the video link posted in the first post of this thread. It's called "Beyond the Data" - and is posted on You Tube.

14. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

CANADA
    And not a single reference to CBT and GET . . . That, alone, is reason to give the interview "two thumbs up". Actually, I wish I had more than two thumbs! Excellent job, Doctor Komaroff, and many thanks.

dancer, Bob, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  15. medfeb

medfeb Senior Member

Here's another video by Komaroff that you might also find useful. It was a presentation at an Internal Medicine Grand Rounds at Stanford University Stanford Medical School in March 2014.

meandthecat and Never Give Up like this.
  16. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    I can help you the thumbs up. LOL See attachment :)

Attached Files:

Bob, Sean and Old Bones like this.
  17. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Jennifer J and Sasha like this.
  18. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Bob likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.