Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Kaufman or Kenny De Meirleir?

Discussion in 'ME/CFS Doctors' started by Mary, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Does anyone know of any major differences between them in terms of testing, treatment, etc.?

I know that Dr. Kauman's initial visit is close to $500, and I was told they will be raising this very soon to around $525. I'm going to e-mail Dr. De Meirleir's asst to get the cost for a visit to him in Reno.

I am concerned about the cost of lab tests. I'm on Medicare, which does cover a lot of lab work, but I have no idea if it covers any of these doctors' testing. I believe that a doctor can refuse to accept Medicare for medical treatment, but still have his labs covered - does anyone know if this is true or not?

I know @Mouse girl asked a similar question about Medicare paying for labs last March, but I didn't see where anyone really knew the answer.

Besides the costs, I would be very interested in anything pertaining to differences between the two doctors re testing and treatment etc. Thanks!

Jennifer J likes this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Yes this is true. I see De Meirleir and some of my labs are covered and some aren't, though he does not participate in Medicare himself.

Jennifer J and Valentijn like this.
  3. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Thanks, Sushi - that's very good to hear! Can you give me an idea of (however rough) of what you have had to pay out-of-pocket for his labs?

4. Sushi

Albuquerque
    It varies a lot from patient to patient. The factors involved might be easier to discuss in a chat or conversation.

5. AaroninOregon

AaroninOregon noob

Hippietown
    How often is Dr. De Meirleir in Reno?

6. Sushi

Albuquerque
    He doesn't have a regular schedule there--every few months. Otherwise we use telephone consults.

Valentijn likes this.
  7. AaroninOregon

AaroninOregon noob

Hippietown
    Hmmm...I'll have to see what his schedule is like. Reno is about an hour shorter (driving time) vs. San Jose.

Do I contact him via the phone number listed on his Himmunitas website or does he have a U.S. number as well?

8. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Write to:
    Charlotte Francois
    charlottef@ehmb.be

She may not answer though until she has his schedule, but that will put you on the mailing list for US patients.

Jennifer J and Valentijn like this.
  9. AaroninOregon

AaroninOregon noob

Hippietown
    Thank you @Sushi !

See more popular forum discussions.