• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Judy Mikovits Interview re: "Plague", WPI etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniekim

I partly want to read the book and partly don't as fear I may become very disheartened. does the book give the message that research is being stopped? Does this mean there is no hope?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Good to know @Kina Even if I had the money to get this, which I don't, I'm not sure I'd be able to read it. My reading ability stops with trashy romance novels!

I think people like here they will keep pushing to help us, inspite of the BS.

Good to know @Kina Even if I had the money to get this, which I don't, I'm not sure I'd be able to read it. My reading ability stops with trashy romance novels!

I think people like here they will keep pushing to help us, inspite of the BS.

I believe they are working on an audio book that's due to come out in December. I think some patients will really appreciate that.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I partly want to read the book and partly don't as fear I may become very disheartened. does the book give the message that research is being stopped? Does this mean there is no hope?

dont read oslers web than as it is a similar scenario but in the mid 1980s to early 1990s. When you read of what they knew back than it was a fair amount but not alot has been added since really??

JT1024

dont read oslers web than as it is a similar scenario but in the mid 1980s to early 1990s. When you read of what they knew back than it was a fair amount but not alot has been added since really??

I have not read Osler's Web but I have read Plague. The author of Osler's Web (Hillary Johnson) has written a forward to the Plague. She is supportive of Judy Mikovits and her research. Unlike Heapsreal, I am actually hopeful since I've seen research performed in the last several years that was not seen in the last 20+ years. There IS research occurring.

However, it is apparent that multiple people/organizations/governments and false patient advocates have actively hindered research. Given the huge burden placed upon individuals, family members and society as a whole when anyone is felled by such a disabling illness, one has to wonder what could be the reason for hindering research. In my opinion, culpability seems to be the main reason.

It is truly sad how "political" ME/CFS" has become.. even within the patient community and forums. Those who have been online for many years have witnessed measures that have been seriously divisive and threatening to those expressing a view not "in line" with approved lines of discussion.

What has happened to patients is close to what has happened to Dr. Mikovits... It is an "inconvenient truth". Patients and Dr. Mikovits have suffered not because of anything they have done. It is because they "happen to have been exposed to X and Y and have genetics of Z" or "she discovered X (NOT XMRV)".

So.... do patients want to continue to be blamed for having an illness? Likewise, should Dr. Mikovits lose everything because she happened to have extensive background in cancer and retrovirology resulting in her being hired by a family wanting to help their daughter? Who wouldn't want to help someone who had a sick child knowing that the findings could help millions around the world? What scientists is aware of the politics in Nevada

The book Plague provides much needed info for people to understand what transpired the last 5 years. I can not believe it has been 5 years since the Science article was published. Many were here in chat while we watched the interactions among scientists. I would like to say more but cannot.

This book truly reveals so much. You will have to decide for yourselves.

Kati

Patient in training
You got to give kuddos to the Whittemore for building an institute from the gound up.
i am not going to read the book for various reasons. i don't think we need to muddie the Whittemore for what they did for we know just one side of the story. on the other side, they are hard at work and I hope they continue getting grants and that perhaps they could have positive findings.

What the community needs is science, not an idol. Judy did not find it. When her science crumbled, she told everybody around they were wrong and she was right.

I vote for science and medicine.

JT1024

@Kati, I am sorry you will not read the book. There is SO much more going on.

Like you, I vote for science and medicine. To that I add integrity and truth. Without personal integrity and a passion for the truth, science and medicine have become tainted by politics, greed, and corruption. Science and medicine are not immune to these devices. Numerous people frequently mentioned on patient forums have been victimized. Numerous have also been the perpetrators... they may not be what they appear. Each individual will need to come to their own conclusions.

I've worked as a Medical Technologist/Clinical Laboratory Scientist as well as in IT in healthcare for 35 years. The more you know, the more you really don't want to know.

Ignorance to the truth and realities of healthcare, science and medicine will only increase the likelihood that you or one of your family members will suffer. The same is true for scientists. What you don't know can hurt you.

Some people/organizations are magicians when it comes to managing their public persona..... Personally, I would much rather deal with someone who is forthright. Those who "appear" genuine and sincere in person but sell everyone out for their own personal benefit can go to hell. We are talking about people and patient's lives.

barbc56

Like you, I vote for science and medicine. To that I add integrity and truth. Without personal integrity and a passion for the truth, science and medicine have become tainted by politics, greed, and corruption. Science and medicine are not immune to these devices. Numerous people frequently mentioned on patient forums have been victimized. Numerous have also been the perpetrators... they may not be what they appear. Each individual will need to come to their own conclusions

I think most here would agree with this. But there's a bigger question.. Does this generalized statement really apply in this particular case? Will we suddenly be "enlightened" to the truth or exposed to more one sided analysis of an event? IMHO, it's the latter. After thinking it through, I will not read the book. This is not a knee jerk opinion and probably not a popular one. Nevertheless, it's my opinion.

My biggest concern is the co author who is blatently anti science and known for his twisting of facts. He advocaties children not getting vaccinated and this has resulted in children becoming extremely ill or even dying from preventable diseases. I don't want to even say his name and give him a Google bump.

Mikovist impulsively aligned herself with the anti vaxers as well as saying that what causes autism also causes me/cfs.This was her choice, but I feel an unfortunate, unscientific choice made at a time there was no scientific evidence to back up whether this was a valid conclusion or not.

I have never been a fan of the WPI nor Mikovist. There just seems there are too many conflicts of interest.

I have other concerns but will not include them. I don't want to debate. But I think it's important we realize that a community doesn't necessarily have to have one opinion and each of us is entitled to his/her own.

I just think she doesn't add credibility to our community.

Barb

liquid sky

I just received the book. One of the reasons that I want to read it is that Judy was under a gag order when all of this went down. It is only fair to give her a chance to tell her side of the story. Things have been made to look all one way and so many were piling on during this gag order, making the truth difficult to discern.

It's time to hear from the other side of the story. Shutting our ears to one side, even if we think we know all the truth we need to know, is shortsighted. Even when we tend to disagree with someone (we think), it is better to hear them out. Could just learn something useful. Kinda reminds me of politics and how some will only listen to FOX news and others to MSNBC. Sometimes, it is best to hear other views we think are useless. We may just learn something.

JT1024

Judy is still under a gag order. One can only ask why? If she was so wrong, why has she been unable to defend herself?

While I want to warn people, everyone must come to their own conclusion.Each member of PR has their strengths and weaknesses. This is the human condition.

When people do not understand the complexities of the science and/or the horrific politics, it disables members from being able to make knowledgeable interpretations.

To fully understand the complexities presented when XMRV was first under consideration, this was a HUGE wake up call for scientists internationally. Literally, this was an "Oh F---" moment. Those with education/experience in science understood the ramifications. It meant that most likely that biomedical research of the last 70+ years most likely created at least one.. and most likely many...recombinant viruses/retroviruses.

For members new to this forum, It is important to fully understand the science. Sadly,science is no longer being reported without bias.

This is also true with reporting/postings on forums.

I am not one to care whether I am liked. My concern is the truth.

barbc56

If Dr. Mikovist is still under a gag order does this include her book? I would think it would. Is this gag order from the WPI employment contract?

Interesting.
Barb

Wally

Not sure if this video (from the 2014 Autism One Conference) has been posted elsewhere, but reference to the book "Plague" is mentioned at the end of the video. In this video, Dr. Mikovitz discusses her involvement in retroviral research (including research related to ME/CFS and XMRV), as well as her current hypotheses and questions related to retroviral involvement in human diseases. If you have not read "Plague" or even if you have, this video might give you some added insight into Dr. Mikovitz's view of retroviruses.

The slides that are referenced during this lecture do not show up in the video, but they can be viewed on the MARS Consulting Inc. website at http://www.marconsultinginc.com/autismone-conference-2014.html.

Status
Not open for further replies.