1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Judy Mikovits' and Kent Heckenlively's book is now ready for pre-order

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Dr Judy Mikovits' and Kent Heckenlively's 400 + page book is now available for pre-purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/Plague-Scientists-Intrepid-Retroviruses-Syndrome/dp/1626365652/

[​IMG]
    Plague: Human Retroviruses, Their Diseases, and One Scientist's Intrepid Search for the Truth by Kent Heckenlively and Judy Mikovits (4 Feb 2014)

CG
    cigana, NK17, Helen and 2 others like this.
  2. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Interview with authors of Plague.
    NK17, catly and Helen like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Hmm.

I think I will donate the price of the book to the microbe discovery project instead.

:meh: :meh: :meh:
    Blue, JPV, Firestormm and 1 other person like this.
  4. JT1024

JT1024 Senior Member

Massachusetts
    I've pre-ordered a copy and look forward to reading it. The book will shed light on what goes on in research...

When even Dr. Lipkin has to resort to crowdfunding, there is something really wrong.
  5. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    I am definitely buying this book!
  6. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    Too bloody right!
    JPV likes this.
  7. JT1024

JT1024 Senior Member

Massachusetts
    I'm not enthralled with Lipkin like many others seem to be. I have worked with physicians and many wealthy and intelligent individuals. Lipkin has his strengths but he is not the be all/end all. Micriobiomes definitely have an impact on our genes.. see : http:// http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25063042

What is pathetic is there is little collaboration among researchers/clinicians/government agencies etc. Why is it that there is so little collaboration among researchers/clinicians?? Anyone have an idea?

My perception, after dealing with illness for 20+ years is 1) physicians are intelligent (often arrogant) and independent. Collaboration seems to be a sign of weakness... at least among most physicians I encounter. Sadly, dead patients aren't able to do anything and their families.. Many/most patients are ignorant of healthcare (PR and a few other forums are the exception) in general and they are too willing to accept whatever a physician says. 2) If a researcher/clinician discovers something, they can patent it and profit. 3) Data collection and mining for chronic illnesses is poor - especially when conditions are contested as "psychiatric".

Sorry I'm venting tonight. Very frustrated with my own condition.
    ukxmrv and RustyJ like this.
  8. geraldt52

geraldt52

I have very much supported Dr. Lipkin and the Microbiome Project, but I definitely wouldn't say I'm "enthralled" with him, nor do I think in any way that he is the "be all/end all".

The thing is, though, think back 30 years, 20 years, 10 years, even 5 years, and consider how much research, and what quality of research, was going on relative to CFS. I truly believe that Dr. Lipkin has both the ability and the inclination to change that in a very big way, and I would hope that everyone at least considers helping in any way that they are able.

For those who feel they don't want to support Dr. Lipkin and the Microbiome Project, because they don't think it's the be all/end all, or for whatever reason, please consider helping the Open Medicine Institute instead. I believe they are also quality people with good intentions, and going at CFS research from more than one angle is certainly worthwhile.[/quote]
    WillowJ, Sean and Bob like this.
  9. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I sympathise with your venting, JT. We all need to vent.
    I agree that Lipkin is just one researcher, with limitations as all researchers have. But he's a major world-class researcher, with plenty of experience, an excellent team (e.g. Mady Hornig), and world-class facilities to support his team. And most of all, he's one extra researcher that we didn't previously have, dedicating major research projects to ME/CFS.

I honestly believe that this has begun to change in a major way.
    A whole load of researchers have collaborated under the CFI initiative, with projects ongoing.
    And also the Open Medicine Institute projects have been collaborative.
    And there seems to be loads more collaboration going on these days, almost everywhere i look.
    catly, WillowJ, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  10. unto

unto

excuse me, do not understand the English language (I'm Italian and I translate with google);
    probably the book by Dr Judy Mikovits' will not be translated in Italian, but I'd be happy if someone or some of the forum will want to make a brief summary of the thought
    Dr Judy Mikovits' in this book for me.
    I know the study of Dr Judy Mikovits' which he published in 2009, but then it seemed
    she believed that even more into it;
    I am convinced that ME / CFS is caused by a germ (virus?) almost always active,
    for this I am very interested in the work / thought of Dr. Judy Mikovits'.
    thanks anyway and (for those who believe) good 15 August.

See more popular forum discussions.