• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Judy Mikovits' and Kent Heckenlively's book is now ready for pre-order

Countrygirl

Dr Judy Mikovits' and Kent Heckenlively's 400 + page book is now available for pre-purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/Plague-Scientists-Intrepid-Retroviruses-Syndrome/dp/1626365652/

Plague: Human Retroviruses, Their Diseases, and One Scientist's Intrepid Search for the Truth by Kent Heckenlively and Judy Mikovits (4 Feb 2014)

Book Description

Publication Date: February 4, 2014

On July 22, 2009, a special meeting was held with twenty-four leading scientists at the National Institutes of Health to discuss early findings that a newly discovered retrovirus was linked to chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), prostate cancer, lymphoma, and eventually neurodevelopmental disorders in children. When Dr. Judy Mikovits finished her presentation the room was silent for a moment, then one of the scientists said, “Oh my God!” The resulting investigation would be like no other in science.

For Dr. Mikovits, a twenty-year veteran of the National Cancer Institute, this was the midpoint of a five-year journey that would start with the founding of the Whittemore-Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease at the University of Nevada, Reno, and end with her as a witness for the federal government against her former employer, Harvey Whittemore, for illegal campaign contributions to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

On this journey Dr. Mikovits would face the scientific prejudices against CFS, wander into the minefield that is autism, and through it all struggle to maintain her faith in God and the profession to which she had dedicated her life. This is a story for anybody interested in the peril and promise of science at the very highest levels in our country

CG

JT1024

I'm not enthralled with Lipkin like many others seem to be. I have worked with physicians and many wealthy and intelligent individuals. Lipkin has his strengths but he is not the be all/end all. Micriobiomes definitely have an impact on our genes.. see : http:// http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25063042

What is pathetic is there is little collaboration among researchers/clinicians/government agencies etc. Why is it that there is so little collaboration among researchers/clinicians?? Anyone have an idea?

My perception, after dealing with illness for 20+ years is 1) physicians are intelligent (often arrogant) and independent. Collaboration seems to be a sign of weakness... at least among most physicians I encounter. Sadly, dead patients aren't able to do anything and their families.. Many/most patients are ignorant of healthcare (PR and a few other forums are the exception) in general and they are too willing to accept whatever a physician says. 2) If a researcher/clinician discovers something, they can patent it and profit. 3) Data collection and mining for chronic illnesses is poor - especially when conditions are contested as "psychiatric".

Sorry I'm venting tonight. Very frustrated with my own condition.

geraldt52

I'm not enthralled with Lipkin like many others seem to be. I have worked with physicians and many wealthy and intelligent individuals. Lipkin has his strengths but he is not the be all/end all.]

I have very much supported Dr. Lipkin and the Microbiome Project, but I definitely wouldn't say I'm "enthralled" with him, nor do I think in any way that he is the "be all/end all".

The thing is, though, think back 30 years, 20 years, 10 years, even 5 years, and consider how much research, and what quality of research, was going on relative to CFS. I truly believe that Dr. Lipkin has both the ability and the inclination to change that in a very big way, and I would hope that everyone at least considers helping in any way that they are able.

For those who feel they don't want to support Dr. Lipkin and the Microbiome Project, because they don't think it's the be all/end all, or for whatever reason, please consider helping the Open Medicine Institute instead. I believe they are also quality people with good intentions, and going at CFS research from more than one angle is certainly worthwhile.[/quote]

Bob

I sympathise with your venting, JT. We all need to vent.
I'm not enthralled with Lipkin like many others seem to be. I have worked with physicians and many wealthy and intelligent individuals. Lipkin has his strengths but he is not the be all/end all.
I agree that Lipkin is just one researcher, with limitations as all researchers have. But he's a major world-class researcher, with plenty of experience, an excellent team (e.g. Mady Hornig), and world-class facilities to support his team. And most of all, he's one extra researcher that we didn't previously have, dedicating major research projects to ME/CFS.

What is pathetic is there is little collaboration among researchers/clinicians/government agencies etc. Why is it that there is so little collaboration among researchers/clinicians?? Anyone have an idea?
I honestly believe that this has begun to change in a major way.
A whole load of researchers have collaborated under the CFI initiative, with projects ongoing.
And also the Open Medicine Institute projects have been collaborative.
And there seems to be loads more collaboration going on these days, almost everywhere i look.

unto

excuse me, do not understand the English language (I'm Italian and I translate with google);
probably the book by Dr Judy Mikovits' will not be translated in Italian, but I'd be happy if someone or some of the forum will want to make a brief summary of the thought
Dr Judy Mikovits' in this book for me.
I know the study of Dr Judy Mikovits' which he published in 2009, but then it seemed
she believed that even more into it;
I am convinced that ME / CFS is caused by a germ (virus?) almost always active,
for this I am very interested in the work / thought of Dr. Judy Mikovits'.
thanks anyway and (for those who believe) good 15 August.