1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Jonathan Kerr's SNP research - anyone know if this got finished, or not?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by snowathlete, Jan 18, 2012.

1. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
  2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I'm not sure why this is still on their webpage.

Dr Kerr lost his lab at St George's when his contract ended and they wouldn't renew it. Since then he has been working in a non-research NHS role. Dr Kerr said at the time that it was unlikely that he would ever be able to work in CFS research again.

3. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    As far as I know, Dr. Derek Enlander at Mt. Sinai in NYC is going to continue Dr. Kerr's work. He was collaborating with him when he was working on it.

4. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    What a shame. What happened? It sounds like there is more to it...
    From what ive read it looks like his research was really promissing. Im pleased to hear that someone else is taking it up.

5. Bob

Bob

South of England
    I think i've read that Kerr's research is now being following up by more than one high-profile researcher, but I'm afraid that I can't remember any details, as usual.

I also read that Jonathan Kerr was unable to repeat his own research in a follow-up study that wasn't published.
    I can't remember where I read about that either, but the details are somewhere on this forum.

6. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    I've read that too on this forum - somewhere. I'm pretty sure there's something about that unpublished follow-up study on the CFS Foundation website (incidentally, this is a perfect example of how publication bias comes about - not publishing the dud result so the published (and searchable) work looks better).

7. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Yes, the news about Kerr's unpublished negative study was a bit of an eye-opener to me... I'd always assumed that negative follow-up studies (in science generally, not just ME-related) would always be published, but it seems that they aren't.

It might explain why there is so much novel research published that isn't followed up. In other words, it is followed up, but when it led to a dead end it wasn't published.

The CFS Foundation website rings a bell for me... I think that's where we found out about Kerr's negative study.

If Kerr couldn't successfully repeat his own research, it makes me wonder if other researchers are wasting their time following it up. I hope they aren't. From what i've read, they seem to be very enthusiastic about their research and their results so far.

8. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    I think you're right: novel findings can't be replicated but because the failure to replicate isn't published, the novel 'finding' remains, apparently never followed up. Publication bias is widespread across science. It's not just the fault of researchers - lots of journals aren't interested in publishing negative studies, and there was even talk of launching a 'journal of negative findings'!

Gene expression is particularly prone to false positives because of the vast number of genes study, and the microarray tecnique Kerr used isn't particularly accurate, adding to the problem. I gather best practice is to use microarrays to identify interesting candidates, then confirm on an independent patients sample using more accurate, smaller scale techniques eg quantitative real-time PCR used by the Lights in their work.

9. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    I just checked with Dr. Enlander and he said:

WE WILL PERFORM RESEARCH ON THE GENOME IN ME/CFS, work that was inspired by Jonathan Kerr.

10. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Thats good enough for me. I was wondering: 23andme leverage their membership to get data, via questionares, and this combined with the dna results is potentially very useful, because you can compare the dna of people with ME to those without, and the questionares could help even more to refine based on severity of condition, and so forth.

Of course, anyone can do this if they get solid ME patients and compare their dna to controls, but i just wonder if there might be something we could do to help researchers - perhaps by creating a central ME/CFS dna database for those who have had tests done. Do you think this would actually help anyone?

11. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Interesting... I've not come across this subject before... A journal of negative findings would actually be very helpful.

Is it the Lights that are following up Kerr's work (as well as Dr. Enlander)? Or is it Nancy Klimas? Or maybe both? I know it's someone high profile, but I've got an awful memory for details!

12. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    The Lights came at it from an entirely different direction (they'd identified some of the molecular receptors responsible for the sensory neuron signaling of muscle fatigue and muscle pain in mice, then went looking for them in CFS).

13. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

This may help, from 2011 and has Kerr's name on it:

14. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Thanks, glad it got published. I think this is the key line in terms of methodology:
    "And our findings went up in smoke." Wish more researchers would use this approachto validate or disprove their interesting novel 'findings'.

15. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Good find biophile! So it was published after all. I think that's the first time most of us have seen that.

Maybe it's still a promising area of research, with enough funding and resources.

See more popular forum discussions.