• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr James Coyne tackles the PACE follow-up paper

Sidereal

He earned his bachelor's degree in psychology from Carnegie-Mellon University and his Ph.D. from Indiana University. He is the author of over 350 publications including numerous citation classics, and he has been identified by the Institute for Scientific Information Web of Science as one of the most cited psychologists and psychiatrists in the world.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/experts/james-c-coyne-phd

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Forgive me but is James Coyne a big name in this field? Hes not someone ive heard of before

In free thinking science communication terms I think he is just a big name, period. He is eloquent and picks key issues. I hope I have uploaded a comment but it has not appeared yet. Unfortunately, if it has not loaded I didn;t save it but I may try again.

user9876

In free thinking science communication terms I think he is just a big name, period. He is eloquent and picks key issues. I hope I have uploaded a comment but it has not appeared yet. Unfortunately, if it has not loaded I didn;t save it but I may try again.
I think comments may go through moderation and appear periodically.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
If it uploaded successfully, you should be able to view it.
It will state 'awaiting moderation' or similar.

Sidereal

Recent tweets by Lancet Psychiatry, the publisher of the faulty PACE follow-up study:

Lancet Psychiatry ‏@TheLancetPsych
@CoyneoftheRealm Hello, Jim. If you can send points as 500w/5ref letter, we can consider for pub w/author response.

@JohntheJack @CoyneoftheRealm I have indeed. Hopefully debate can continue in the journal and elsewhere, and inform future work.

Lancet Psychiatry
‏@TheLancetPsych
@JohntheJack Hopefully the rituxi trials will yield plenty of objective-measure outcomes, which will be of great interest.

@JohntheJack Also work by Hornig et al might yield biomarkers of use in treatment & trials. I hope.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Does one have to sign in? I did not get a message like that.

(The messages seem to have stopped at 5.03 pm.)

I don't think I got a message like that either, but they're all held in moderation. He approves them in big batches. You don't have to sign in - just give a username, plus an email address (which is kept private).

I'd be pretty confident that you've successfully posted and that you'll see it in a few hours.

adreno

PR activist
Interesting comment from the blog:

DrCGillberg
October 30, 2015 at 10:29 am
This morning I have sent your excellent analysis to clinicians and colleagues some of whom teach methodology and critical thinking (as I used to prior to becoming home-bound due to this wretched illness). I have suggested that PACE and your analysis of it henceforth be incorporated in teaching material. As I said on Twitter, this is a great lesson for the methodologically challenged on how not to design a research study, interpret statistics and make inflated or flawed knowledge claims. To me, personally, your analysis serves to further underline the shocking lack of research ethics on the part of a hegemonic circle of researchers.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Does one have to sign in? I did not get a message like that.

(The messages seem to have stopped at 5.03 pm.)
No, I didn't sign in. The blog should recognise your browser (or something). If you are using the same computer and you can't see your own message at the bottom of the page, I'd assume the worst but as Sasha suggests, give it a few hours.

snowathlete

This feels very similar to what happened with the NIH, that good work by patients and advocates, which started out small began to hit the mark and get attention and traction with the right people. People who are in a stronger position to influence the right people. Those people are all very special people because they perceive something that most do not. All credit to them. I hope this leads to more people outside of the MECFS community becoming aware and talking about the issue.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
"this is a great lesson for the methodologically challenged on how not to design a research study, interpret statistics and make inflated or flawed knowledge claims."

I do like methodologically challenged. The beauty of the PC successor to litotes. (go and look it up you ignoramus)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
No, I didn't sign in. The blog should recognise your browser (or something). If you are using the same computer and you can't see your own message at the bottom of the page, I'd assume the worst but as Sasha suggests, give it a few hours.

Often I post a comment on a site and it looks posted and then later, it has disappeared and is being moderated. So I'm still confident we're going to see Jo's post!

There were 69 posts when I last looked so we must look for that number going up.

snowathlete

Still shocking that this goes through peer review, like an eel through a soap box. I guess the reviewers are also methodologically challenged.
Is it that the peer reviewers are methogologically challenged, or were they influenced by the names behind the study, the people supporting it, the fact so much money was spent on it? I suspect all of the above. Good thing to be wondering about though.

Sidereal

James C.Coyne ‏@CoyneoftheRealm
I'm wondering if PACE investigative group more willing to debate me than @BPSOfficial @peterkinderman was w/ #understandingpsychosis1/2

James C.Coyne ‏@CoyneoftheRealm
.@BPSOfficial @peterkinderman refused debate and threatened my universities w/ legal action if they did not muzzle me.

Dude has been on fire. :lol:

barbc56

What I like about Coyne is that he writes about all sorts of subjects. I think that lends credibility and hopefully will creat a segue for some of the doctors/researchers/community spokespeople as well as patients.to be heard.

My definition of "some" in the above refers to doctors and researchers, etc. who are science based.

Barb.