• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Jack Kruse's explanation of what CFS is

Basilico

Florida
Yes but I am unsure how big a role the sun is vs other factors. Some things just don't add up for me. 100years ago people spent 95% of the day outdoors, now its 5%.

I think this is a huge overgeneralization that probably does not hold true for all groups...Inuit certainly go on hunts and spend time outside, but a majority of their time was/is likely spent inside with a fire trying to stay warm while it's 50 below outside and 24hr nighttime. They'd probably only spend a majority of their days outside during 2-3 months out of the year. Even the groups who spent a majority of time outside (in more tropical climates) were probably in some type of shade (tree cover or manmade). I doubt any primitive groups spent/spends 95% of their waking hours in direct sunlight.

There are so many factors that affect health, sunlight is but one and it doesn't effect all people equally...if sunlight really had the drastic effects that some seem to think it has, then outdoor construction/maintenance workers would be the pinnacles of health...something I've never heard anyone mention, and certainly not a phenomena I've ever observed.

jepps

Maybe it´s not only the sun, that keeps us healthier in an outside environment - as long as the environment is natural, not full with pesticides. If we are outside, we live with more microbes than inside in our clean houses. We are more in contact with nature outside, that keeps us healthy.

sb4

@Basilico I have looked for any data but I would be very suprised if office workers were healthier than builders/etc. I know people with outside jobs have 3x less skin cancer than those with office jobs.

I think it's not a huge generalisation that just 100 years ago, people spent much, much more time outside. If you are the average person, I would guess you spend about 30mins outside per day, with clothes + sunglasses + sunscreen. Go back 100y and there are far more outside jobs, and far less things to do with your free time inside (no tv, internet, etc). Go back 1000years and the overwhelming majority of time would be spent outside, farming, building, etc. Spending time in the shade is still being outside, you still get the benefits of natural light, even if it's not direct sunlight.

Basilico

Florida
I think it's not a huge generalisation that just 100 years ago, people spent much, much more time outside.

This is true, but 100 years ago, many things were different! Food, water, social interactions, chemical contamination, technology (or lack thereof), and on and on. Time spent outside is just one factor of thousands, so it's kind of hard to assume that it is the most important difference.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
It makes sense to be in sunlight, our mitochondria do not function well in blue light, surround by EMF.

Can you tell me how this can be achieved in the UK. I live in Wales where it rains a lot and is very cudy most of the time. Someone mentioned sunbathing 5-6 hours a day. couldn't do that here, especially in the winter? it would be freezing. Also as I cant sit down it would be hard - just trying to ponder how people get more sunlight in the UK.

Yes would be so nice to be able to try months in the countryside

11 years ago I moved to a remote location surrounded by forest and trees. I was in remission when we moved there and I worked outside all day most days, very little laptop etc use and no smart phones in the house, no wifi and no mobile signal or wifi hotspots. It was where I became severely ill again after a remission for around 9 years. I was getting the most sunlight I ever had, very little emf exposure. It didn't work for me and in the end we had to move back toa town as 9 years living that remotely and being this ill was making me go insane.

Can I protect my house from next door?

You cant - also you can turn the 4G off on your phone, but the 4G etc is still all around you.

keenly

Can you tell me how this can be achieved in the UK. I live in Wales where it rains a lot and is very cudy most of the time. Someone mentioned sunbathing 5-6 hours a day. couldn't do that here, especially in the winter? it would be freezing. Also as I cant sit down it would be hard - just trying to ponder how people get more sunlight in the UK.

11 years ago I moved to a remote location surrounded by forest and trees. I was in remission when we moved there and I worked outside all day most days, very little laptop etc use and no smart phones in the house, no wifi and no mobile signal or wifi hotspots. It was where I became severely ill again after a remission for around 9 years. I was getting the most sunlight I ever had, very little emf exposure. It didn't work for me and in the end we had to move back toa town as 9 years living that remotely and being this ill was making me go insane.

You cant - also you can turn the 4G off on your phone, but the 4G etc is still all around you.

You can not.

Jack's advise was to MOVE, and his supporters put it more rudely than that. See my thread on the forums https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/hi-from-cloudy-manchester-uk.19476/page-2

I was infuriated, still am.

keenly

@TreePerson The 4G on your phone is different from the wifi on your phone. You want to disable the 4g internet and wifi on your phone when not in use, and also put it in airplane mode when not recieving phone calls.

There is not much you can do to protect your house from outside EMF, best to reduce exposure of things in your control. The closer and more powerful the signal, the worse it is for you.

You can buy very long cables to get from downstairs to upstairs, thats what I did.

There's plenty you can do for EMF.
https://www.healthy-house.co.uk/electro/protection-home-office

http://iyashisource.com/iyashi-stor...ombinations/iyashi-bracelet-shieldite-pendant

http://shop.earthcalm.com/STARTER-PACK-GET-SLEEP-HOME-LUNAR-SAVE-10_p_116.html

https://www.safespaceprotection.com/products/

http://www.electrosmogshielding.co.uk/

Window films
http://www.electrosmogshielding.co.uk/prodtype.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=115&numRecordPosition=1

https://smartmeterguard.com/collections/product-page

brenda

You can use this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Required-TL-PA4020PKIT/dp/B01M16AZTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498394203&sr=8-1&keywords=passthrough powerline

It is what I use and saves having cables everywhere. You can also measure the emf's to find the safest place for sleeping and sitting.

I don't think that you can get improvement from concentrating on one thing, whether it is the sun, emf protection or whatever. I manage to get sun by getting out early - like 5 - 6 am and then lunchtime for vit D and later on again. I see improvement from short spells of it and grounding - very important for mito problems. Diet is hugely important too for autoimmunity - no grains seeds or nuts.

It is a mixture of putting many things together and reducing stress. Chemical avoidance is a huge thing for me.

TreePerson

Thanks Justy. It's interesting to know that and will be useful to remind myself when I get my countryside cravings.:)

justy

You can not.

Jack's advise was to MOVE, and his supporters put it more rudely than that. See my thread on the forums https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/hi-from-cloudy-manchester-uk.19476/page-2

Yeah that's not helpful is it?
Living in a family also makes things hard. I cant get up at dawn because I need at least 9 hours sleep a night and that would mean at this time of year going to bed at 6pm, which is before dinner time, which I usually have to cook and serve when able to stand up. If not I have to force myself to.

We are waiting for my youngest to leave home in 4 years time so we can get a camper van and spend 6 momnths to a year in southern Europe by the sea - I always feel better by the sea.

justy

You can not.

That is one toxic thread - nasty all round.

As I said above I will look at moving somewhere for a while to see what happens. BUT and its a big but, some of us are so sick we cant really move, or have family - I have 4 kids - what am I going to do? pack them all up with money from the magic money tree and go and live in southern spain with 4 kids and no income - interesting approach if I want to max out the stress in my life!

sb4

That is one toxic thread - nasty all round.

I post over there and have received the same response in regards to moving. Most of it is well meaning but some of it is patronizing. The problem is, most people on there assume you are reasonably healthy, or at least enough to support yourself in another country, and even if you say you are not, some people just ignore it and continue anyway. Having said that, there is also a lot of good information in those forums and who knows, maybe we won't get better if we can't move...

erin

@justy it was me sunbathing 5 hours a day for 6 months (approximately, depending on the month). I live in the UK for 6 months and abroad for another 6.

Now I'm wanting spending less and less time in the UK. But this is stressful. I have to balance and compensate lots of things like healthcare, finances, sunshine, medicines available in both countries, family (I don't have any kids unfortunately, not by choice).

It can be chaotic at times. But I feel the need for sunshine more than ever, maybe I'm getting old. I can not tolerate humid and cold anymore. It must be worth it in my case as I can not give up the sunshine.

Basilico

Florida
Not that it wasn't wonderful, and nourishing =nature time is great, but for me at least not helpful.

@TreePerson

I had this same experience as Justy. Granted, I didn't do it for anywhere near as long as she did, but for my whole life, my family owned a 60+ acre property in the mountains (middle of nowhere) in northern Maine. No internet, no tv. We had electricity, but used it sparingly, and I would often spend 1-2 months per year up there...except for rainy days, I'd be outside almost from sun up to sun down. Often, in bare feet!

It felt so good to be up there, spending time with family members I didn't get to see much otherwise, and being so intimately connected with nature. I'd look forward to going there all year long. As much as I loved it, my health never improved up there. And one year, it slowly deteriorated. I also had terrible chronic insomnia up there, that would instantly disappear when I returned to my apartment with all my blue light! Now there's a bit of a paradox.

I think being in the countryside is a wonderful thing for many reasons, but it's not a cure, unfortunately :(

Basilico

Florida
I post over there and have received the same response in regards to moving. Most of it is well meaning but some of it is patronizing. The problem is, most people on there assume you are reasonably healthy, or at least enough to support yourself in another country, and even if you say you are not, some people just ignore it and continue anyway. Having said that, there is also a lot of good information in those forums and who knows, maybe we won't get better if we can't move...

If it makes you feel better, a few years ago I moved to Florida...on our license plates our motto is "The Sunshine State" and it certainly lives up to that expression. Being closer to the equator, our sun is STRONG, and I can produce vitamin D even in December, unlike in northern areas. For myself and my husband, CFS has not been in any way improved by moving here, and there are plenty of people on this forum with CFS from Florida, California, Australia....so even if the extra sun is good for some things, it's not a CFS cure.