1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Ian Lipkin's $1.27m gut microbiome study - crowdfunding campaign - news and updates

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Bob, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    In March, Dr Lipkin attended the 2014 Stanford ME/CFS Symposium, and made a presentation about his wide-ranging ME/CFS research program. The video has been made available and can be seen here:
    https://www.facebook.com/microbediscovery/posts/683621328373571

For Dr Lipkin's presentation, see video 5, and watch from 47:40 or 56:15 (the start time varies, depending on your browser software.)
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Sasha, rosie26 and aimossy like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    14 participants.png
    snowathlete, Sasha, rosie26 and 2 others like this.
  3. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Anna.png
    snowathlete, Esther12, Sasha and 2 others like this.
  4. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  5. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Sean, Art Vandelay, rosie26 and 4 others like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Dr Lipkin's ME/CFS appeal video now has subtitles in various languages (Chinese, Czech, Dutch, English, German & Italian.) All versions of the appeal video can be found on the project's website, here: http://www.microbediscovery.org/videos/

Also, the project's website has various language sections (Čeština, Deutsch, Español, Italiano, Nederlands.) For these sections, please see the options at the top-right of the website: http://www.microbediscovery.org
    Firestormm and Sean like this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Sean, Esther12, Firestormm and 2 others like this.
  8. catly

catly Senior Member

outside of NYC
    I just completed a survey via email from Columbia from their Office of Alumni and Development regarding aimed at donors.

They sent me an email advising of the survey a few days earlier, which I thought was a good idea, so I had a heads up.

Having worked in positions where survey input was very important I always try to complete surveys on issues that I view as important to me.

It's sort of a tedious survey, but I thought it was important to stress my appreciation for Dr. Lipking and Mady Hornig's work on ME and to emphasize that this was my basis for donating.

If anyone else gets the survey, and you feel up to it, please respond and put a plug in for continued ME research at Columbia.
    Bob, Sasha, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I also just filled it in and when they asked what Columbia could do to make me donate more, I said that they could fundraise for the Lipkin ME/CFS study.

@beaker did a whole number on them about how important the study is (can't find that thread now!).
    catly likes this.
  10. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Sasha likes this.
  11. turtle

turtle

i wish columbia university would stop sending me paper letters each time i make a donation. as i live outside the US the stamp says it costs a dollar, and that's is not including hardware and time involved. i always tick the box asking not to be sent one plus i even wrote it in the request section, it feels like a waste of money.
    rosie26, Esther12 and Firestormm like this.
  12. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi turtle - the box is already ticked by default (the box asking not to be sent a paper receipt). Are you sure you're not clicking on it and therefore unticking it (the sort of thing I'm always doing)?

I got a paper acknowledgement for the first donation I sent but not since then. I think they introduced their "save a tree" efforts only within the last few months.

It's a pity they're not getting it right in your case - I hope they're getting it right most of the time, though!
  13. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Actually, that was a good reminder to make my monthly donation (three weeks into July - a bit late!).

The more I read about the microbiome, the more sense it makes to look there. What an amazing thing it would be for our disease to be leading the way in a new medical frontier rather than being thirty years behind.
    aimossy and rosie26 like this.
  14. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    @turtle - thanks - I have just woken up and hearing you have donated has made me happy - thank you lots :hug:
    aimossy likes this.
  15. turtle

turtle

thanks Sasha, and Rosie, yes i think i have done it right, but i will double check. it is only a minor amount but it is just frustrating when you are trying to put whatever you can into this project, albeit not a large amount, and they waste money on sending out thank you notes.
    rosie26 and Sasha like this.
  16. Chickadee9

Chickadee9

I also got a letter after my donation. It does seem a waste of money. I hadn't realised there was box you could tick, not that makes any difference it seems.
    rosie26 likes this.
  17. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    The box is already ticked so if you don't notice it, you should be OK. The fact that two of you weren't suggests they've got a glitch - might be worth emailing them (if you've got the energy) to let them know - I'm sure they'd be grateful for a heads-up that there's a problem.
  18. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  19. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    I got an email acknowledgement - and left the box re the written letter well alone.....
    rosie26 and Sasha like this.
  20. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    looking forward to this number getting rounded off and reaching an important milestone. Well done everyone for keeping on plugging away at this.
    rosie26, aimossy, Bob and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.