August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Enlander study with WPI

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Recovery Soon, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

A while ago I had posted that my blood was drawn at Dr. Enlander's office for a study with Dr. Alter.

I just found out yesterday that the Alter study is out, but the samples will be tested by WPI for another study.

No time frame on when to expect results.

2. Nielk

Nielk

Thanks for this info.
    They also drew my blood at Dr. Enlander's and I was curious as to what was happening to it.

3. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

is dr. enlander prescribing ARV's?

thanks
    sue

4. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Do you mean that the Alter study was cancelled? If so, is there any information why?

5. Recovery Soon

Yes. The Alter study was cancelled, but they (his staff) were not quite sure why. I haven't seen him. When I do I'll ask.

I would seriously doubt it. He doesn't seem confident in XMRV.

6. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

DO you mean the Alter part of the Enlander study was cancelled but the WPI part is continuing?

7. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    What was the proposed Englander study?... Was he proposing to send his patient samples to both the WPI and to Alter to get them tested for XMRV and PMRV's?

8. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

A question: Was it only Enlander's plan to send the samples to Dr. Alter (who would send them to Dr. Lo), or was did Alter agree to do that and then cancelled?
    My hunch is that it was only Dr. Enlander's plan, and Dr. Alter never agreed to that. It's very possible that he couldn't agree to that, since it's very possible, I think, that he has no funding for that.

9. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

I believe he was going to gather patient samples; split each sample up into however many labs there were participating and then see what happened.

10. Recovery Soon

I'm not sure what the original proposiiton of the study was meant to be. I only know what his nurse has told me- which back 6 months or so ago was that he was doing an XMRV study with Dr. Alter for which I gave blood.

I inquired a couple days ago and she said the Alter study was cancelled and that WPI contacted Enlander and planned to use the same samples for a new study. It's quite possible that the original study contained both labs- and she did not quite realize that WPI was included all along.

She also said that the blood would be tested by WPI and Peterson separately.

Again, I don't know if she gets the nuances.

I certainly don't. All I know is I'm looking forward to getting my results from WPI.

11. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Peterson is involved with a study with Levy (is that the correct name?), so maybe Levy is now testing the samples, as well as the WPI.

12. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Yes, Levy and Peterson are involved

See more popular forum discussions.