1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Enlander on treating DeFreitas retrovirus

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by mojoey, Sep 21, 2010.

1. mojoey

mojoey Senior Member

Dr. Enlander posted the following comment on Mindy's latest blog:

2. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Exactly what "attempts" are being referred to?
  3. mojoey

mojoey Senior Member

He must mean antiretrovirals, either by him (not sure how long he has treated ME/CFS) or other doctors in cahoots with DeFreitas at the time such as Cheney/Peterson.
  4. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

Thanks for posting this but I wonder what antiretrovirals they were using. Defreitas published in 1990 and HAART didn't really get going until the mid 1990s and even then, it was only mostly with AZT so I would be cautious about making any conclusions based on past antiretroviral work on CFS.
  5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Dr Martin was trying to treat his "stealth virus" and had quite a following with patients back then trying different things. For immune modulators there was Amantadine and people were looking at the supposed viral fighting ability of many common drugs and supplements (with antibiotics and antidepressants being discussed in that context).

There's still some information here

http://www.ccid.org/therapy.htm#

Dr Martin had his own treatment but I can't remember what it was called (Eponovir?)
  6. mojoey

mojoey Senior Member

I'm guessing it was mostly with AZT too. I emailed Dr. Enlander asking directly.

I wasn't advocating anything; just pointing out the previously unknown fact (to most of us I presume) that some CFS physicians did actually act on the DeFreitas findings. I consider any experience, positive or negative, with any drugs that are being considered now experimentally or for clinical trials to be helpful.
  7. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

This echoes what Dr. Enlander told me recently- he does not believe XMRV is the cause of CFS at this time.

See more popular forum discussions.