Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. Donahue propagates the myth of graded exercise as beneficial for CFS

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Robin, May 7, 2010.

1. Robin

Robin Guest

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/li...38951622393319248625771A006D0A85?OpenDocument

He's health columnist/physician who is syndicated and widely read in the US.

If you want to write to him or leave a comment, keep a couple of things in mind.

1 - he's not a spring chicken, probably doesn't practice anymore and might never have examined a CFS patient. He covers a lot of different topics in his columns so most of his information most likely comes from the literature. :rolleyes:

2 - he's covered CFS in the past, and doesn't respond well to angry letters. In fact, he published one years ago where a patient's mom demanded an apology for a column he wrote; and he was all WTF?

He's probably much more amenable to calm discussion, and perhaps insightful criticism of the graded exercise literature. He doesn't think CFS is psychological so that's definitely a good thing.

I'm going to go leave a comment...

2. oerganix

oerganix Senior Member

I just left a comment, and WOW, they don't make it easy! Robin, how do you get paragraphs and spacing like that? My comment is one long jumble, not what I typed into their teeny-tiny comment box.

3. Jerry S

Jerry S Senior Member

Chicago
    Excellent comments, Robin and oerganix! Thanks. Well done.

4. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    I think this is true for most humans, they respond to calm arguments appealing to their reason.

Tina

5. justinreilly

justinreilly Senior Member

NYC (& RI)
    Thanks guys, for your good comments. I posted too. I tried not to be mean! :Retro smile:

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Dr. Donohue gives (bad) advice on CFS in various US newspapers

(This was originally the initial post in another thread)

This was in:
    Martinsburg Journal
    South Coast Today
    The Detroit News
    Alexandria Town Talk
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    Yuma Sun
    and possibly elsewhere:

last paragraph:

The Detroit News
    Alexandria Town Talk
    also have:

A slightly shorter version was in:
    Richmond Times Dispatch
    and possibly elsewhere:

7. cinderkeys

cinderkeys

Thanks for the alert. My comment didn't add much information, but I figure there's power in numbers.

See more popular forum discussions.