A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr David Tuller 13th Nov: Trial by Error: the surprising new BMJ Best-Practice Guide

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    http://www.virology.ws/2017/11/13/trial-by-error-the-surprising-new-bmj-best-practice-guide/

Here is an extract:

Mary, PatJ, Janice Hargreaves and 9 others like this.
  2. Countrygirl

UK
    boombachi likes this.
  3. Countrygirl

UK
    RogerBlack likes this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

At the moment, I'm getting a notice from the BMJ that this is a broken link. I'm in the US, so it might be different elsewhere.

Countrygirl likes this.
  5. Countrygirl

UK
    I have downloaded it as a pdf but haven't read it yet.. I could email it to you if you like.

Forbin and ballard like this.
  6. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

7. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Countrygirl, Forbin and GreyOwl like this.
  8. Countrygirl

UK
    JohntheJack likes this.
  9. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Not read through comments on this post yet. I am just skim reading the guide now, managed to get a copy, and will try to read properly. I have to say on reading so far I still have many concerns. Yes, the guide does point out there is research coming out that shows metabolic dysfunction and graded exercise can make many worse, which on the surface seems progress. Yet the treatment recommendations are still focused on rehabilitation and CBT. Also the document rightly says Oxford and NICE criteria should not be used but still wrongly recommends Fukuda as a valid criteria. It also criticises ICC criteria.

Also says the CFS definitions require PEM. Yet fails (purposely?) to point out that PEM is not essential under the Fukuda CFS defintion for a CFS diagnosis. Are they still wanting to include studies using Fukuda which we know uses mixed patient cohorts making the results dubious. A lot of the assertions use studies using Oxford and Fukuda criteria as evidence for them, even cites PACE as a reference for a claim.

To me, the BPS lot have their fingerprints all over the document and I am not surprised until this month Peter White was listed as one of the peer reviewers. It's a mish mash of a guide in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Countrygirl likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.