Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr. David Bell on Chronic Lyme disease and ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Sushi, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    read more at the link above.

beaker, Antares in NYC, Hanna and 6 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Well, it's good that he got at least some of it right. :cool:

3. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    which bits did he get wrong Duncan? I thought it was a good answer - honest and the most we know at the moment. As he says a a shame they didn't do further work and publish anything on the samples at the time - a missed opportunity only in retrospect I guess.

roxie60 likes this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I have no idea what I was speaking to. :confused:

Let me see if I can remember.

ETA: Ok I remember. He equated chronic Lyme with ME/CFS. I think this is worth challenging.

But I agree with most of what else he says, e.g. Lyme like many viruses can lead to or trigger ME/CFS

5. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Confusing chronic Lyme for ME/CFS is different than saying they are one and the same. I think it is easy to confuse the two. Many individuals diagnosed with chronic Lyme may have ME/CFS, and visa versa. You can also have both simultaneously, as some of us on this forum can attest.

But acute Lyme that devolves into chronicity after treatment - or despite it - is chronic Lyme. The active agent behind the symptoms is Borrelia in chronic Lyme. Late Stage Lyme that does not respond to treatment is chronic Lyme. PTLDS is a different matter that may or may not be based on reality.

At least, that's how I see it.

But just like certain viruses, Lyme can lead to ME/CFS. When it triggers ME/CFS, the symptoms are not attributable to Borrelia.

Distinguishing the two becomes problematic in the face of dicey diagnostics. Swollen knees and PEM and NK function are a few things that address that.

I hope I am making sense here and not pissing anybody off. Bad brain day; hard to tell. This is all just my probably incoherent opinion. :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    roxie60 and justy like this.
  6. msf

msf Senior Member

My incoherent opinion (I like this disclaimer) is that ME is a combination of a chronic bacterial infection and the resulting autoinmune/immunological changes.

7. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Intracellular infections, in particular, make things a little hairy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

See more popular forum discussions.