• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Chitra Bhakta LLMD Reprimanded by Medical Board of CA

I have trouble faulting the doctor for the vast majority of that. The patient couldn't afford to continue to do things the proper way (with trained nurses) and opted to do it herself without telling the doctor, so left in a temporary catheter and self-administered IV antibiotics until it went septic. I'm also not sure why it's apparently required to give everyone an abdominal ultrasound to check the gall bladder prior to taking Rocephin.

The failure came in the lack of financial support and insufficient home support - things which the doctor isn't responsible for and can't do anything about. I'm surprised she didn't contest the charges ... but it sounds like a pretty mild plea (reprimand and a few courses), possibly to avoid the hassle of a drawn-out court case.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I agree about the ultrasound but from what I read the doc knew the patient wasn't complying and kept rx'ing abx.

Home health care had a role in this going bad too.

Groggy Doggy

@minkeygirl

I have been following this situation for a few months. These are my own hypothesis based on my observations, experience, and past research regarding what happens to individuals that threaten the medical establishment.

Dr Bhatka had a different opinion than the well credentialed MD on the Dr Phil show. "Dr. Paul Auwaerter, professor and clinical director at Johns Hopkins University, joins the show via Polycom and explains why he does not believe Lyme disease is a chronic illness". This show was broadcast on 4/13/2012, when Lyme was even more controversial.

http://drphil.com/slideshows/slideshow/6835/?slide=1&showID=182 (summary)

(read the comments)

Unless you work in a large medical group (HMO type) that has a legal staff, you are vulnerable to lawsuits. But if you worked in an HMO, you may not be able to diagnose and treat patients outside of the 'standard care of practice' accepted by the general medical community. (I personally applaud medical providers that go out on a limb to treat sick patients that are very ill (patients that can't get adequate care elsewhere))

Dr Bhakta's website continues to be comprimised in some way, (hacked?) (my own conclusion from numerous years of IT experience, including computer viruses)

https://www.google.com/interstitial?url=http://www.ocimc.com/

I personally met Dr B and her office staff. My impression is that Dr B and her staff were caring and competent, and don't fit the portrayal described in the legal complaint. In the legal complaint, the patient's first appointment with Dr B was on 5/22/2012 (Dr Phil show broadcast 4/13/2012). My feelings are:
1) the patient's sister (a registered nurse) seemed to step in and assist only when it was time to take the patient to the hospital on 12/2/2013
2) where was the 'caring' sister (RN) from 5/22/2012 to 12/1/2013?
3) Why did the RN have the time to file a complaint with the state of california medical board, but not have any time to visit her sick sister from 5/22/2012 to 12/1/2013?
4) if the scenario as described in the complaint constitutes 'gross negligence', then we all need to start reporting our experiences to the medical board. I think many of us have stories about 'gross negligence' that far exceed this case. this story seems more about the gross negligence of the RN who was covering her own tracks, to protect her own license.
5) I wonder if the RN is going to civil court next to try and get money from Dr B?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm not that interested that I need to dissect thr state of medical care. I knew of her, Talked to rich Vank about Her, happened upon This so posted it.

I have no opinion either way about it.

Groggy Doggy

I know of 2 people impacted by lyme who:

Googled Dr B and read the medical board complaint
Tried to go to Dr B's web site (got the vulnerability message)
Decided from the above that they would not visit Dr B

We all have to make our own decisions regarding how to improve our health. I think there are 2 sides to every story.

Groggy Doggy

I'm not that interested that I need to dissect thr state of medical care. I knew of her, Talked to rich Vank about Her, happened upon This so posted it.

I have no opinion either way about it.
You may have an opinion at a later date if your only options to get treated for an orphan disease are:
HMO or large medical group that does not recognize your orphan disease
PCP's that are part of the growing field of Boutique Medicine. Pay a expensive yearly fee to just have priviliedge to been seen by your PCP.

We still have independent doctors that are doing the right thing. But some are closing practices or becoming member of an established HMO/Medical Group. If you are on MediCare, you can see the difference now. Because MediCare can reimburse the independent doctor at a rate for a procedure far below the doctors cost while MediCare reimburses the HMO/Medical group (same procedure) at a rate sometimes double/triple the rate they pay the independent doctor. So that is why some independent doctors can not afford to see MediCare patients.

Don't mean to bring doom and gloom the day after Thanksgiving! Especially when dogs/cats may still be sleeping off the tryptophan (turkey)

Wish we could all stay healthy the rest of our lives and not have to think about what our medical options will be in the future. But we all have an orphan disease and our illness and treatments are foremost on our foggy minds.

Gingergrrl

PCP's that are part of the growing field of Boutique Medicine. Pay a expensive yearly fee to just have priviliedge to been seen by your PCP.

I have no opinion re: this lawsuit but this sentence struck me b/c I have been trying to find a PCP for several years and two of my former PCP's who were phenomenal each now belong to a Boutique Medicine practice. One is several thousand dollars to join and the other I am not even eligible to join b/c it is for foreign dignitaries or professors visiting the U.S. The PCP's in my area are either Boutique, their practices are full, they take no insurance and are off the charts expensive, or they are absolute crap and know less about medicine than I do. I sincerely doubt I will ever find a local PCP again and not for lack of trying.

Groggy Doggy

I have been trying to find a PCP for several years and two of my former PCP's who were phenomenal each now belong to a Boutique Medicine practice. One is several thousand dollars to join and the other I am not even eligible to join b/c it is for foreign dignitaries or professors visiting the U.S. The PCP's in my area are either Boutique, their practices are full, they take no insurance and are off the charts expensive, or they are absolute crap and know less about medicine than I do. I sincerely doubt I will ever find a local PCP again and not for lack of trying.
@Gingergrrl
I had not heard of PCPs that specialize in foreign dignataries or visiting professors. You must live in the Los Angeles area. Finding a good PCP can be frustrating. Sorry you have to deal with that. I had good luck with a PCP because he was new to the medical group and still building up his practice. The word got out, his practice filled up quickly. and he no longer takes new patients. Just curious, can you get on a waiting list with any PCPs that have a full practice? I hope a new local PCP shows up in your area (non-boutique) and you can make the switch.
Does your health improve in any particular seasons?

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
I have no opinion re: this lawsuit but this sentence struck me b/c I have been trying to find a PCP for several years and two of my former PCP's who were phenomenal each now belong to a Boutique Medicine practice. One is several thousand dollars to join and the other I am not even eligible to join b/c it is for foreign dignitaries or professors visiting the U.S. The PCP's in my area are either Boutique, their practices are full, they take no insurance and are off the charts expensive, or they are absolute crap and know less about medicine than I do. I sincerely doubt I will ever find a local PCP again and not for lack of trying.
There was a local tv news here in Texas, a palliative medicine physician was talking about their team taking care of not just terminal cancer patients, but also nonterminal patients without cancer, who are homebound. Perhaps you could look into this for a PCP...

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl
I had not heard of PCPs that specialize in foreign dignataries or visiting professors. You must live in the Los Angeles area. Finding a good PCP can be frustrating. Sorry you have to deal with that. I had good luck with a PCP because he was new to the medical group and still building up his practice. The word got out, his practice filled up quickly. and he no longer takes new patients. Just curious, can you get on a waiting list with any PCPs that have a full practice? I hope a new local PCP shows up in your area (non-boutique) and you can make the switch.
Does your health improve in any particular seasons?

@Groggy Doggy Yes to LA (your comment made me laugh!) and it's an executive practice only which is a shame b/c she was a great PCP. We are still not sure which insurance we will have in Jan so once we know, will try to get some referrals. I would imagine that you can get onto a waiting list but ATM there is no one to get onto a list for. Re: your question, my health has not improved or changed due to any particular seasons and from Jan 2013 to present it has gone straight downhill but did not know until middle of this year was living with toxic mold so hoping that will change. Does that question relate to finding a PCP? (Was just curious in case I am missing something obvious!)

There was a local tv news here in Texas, a palliative medicine physician was talking about their team taking care of not just terminal cancer patients, but also nonterminal patients without cancer, who are homebound. Perhaps you could look into this for a PCP...

Thanks @Dr.Patient but I can get to the doctor in wheelchair when my husband/family drive me and not looking for someone to come to my house. I have doctors in every other specialty (although many not local) but just cannot find a PCP in spite of a few great leads.

Sorry this is getting off topic but was struck by GD's quote and wanted to reply... but back to Dr. Bhakta for rest of thread!

barbc56

So does living in La La land make your fog worse?:lol:

My daughter lives in LA. The climate there makes me feel better. But it's all relative.

Barb