• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Byron Hyde Skype consult?

I don't live close to any of the known CFS doctors and have limited money. I'm thinking about doing the Skype consult with Byron Hyde. Have any of you done the consult or recommend it (him)? It's $400 for 2 hrs. so I don't want to make a hasty decision.

I don't know if it would be worthwhile. A year ago I asked about being a patient and the cost. I received a letter or email stating that they are more into testing and researching. The cost was expensive and you still need your own doctor. I declined or I should say declined putting myself on the waiting list. I don't know if anything has changed. Good luck, I know that this is not much to go on.

ukxmrv

What would you like to gain for the consultation? For patients that I know how have seen him the big plus was his knowledge on what tests to have to rule other diagnosis out. The cost was very expensive for them. However some learnt that they had other related or secondary conditions.

Oh wow! I didn't know that anyone could do a skype consult with Dr. Hyde. I saw him at a presentation 20+years ago about his book. I don't have much money to work with either. Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

ukxmrv: What type of testing does he do? What else is he looking for? Wondering...wanting to see if there is something else I need to rule out after 22 years or a secondary condition that has not been tested for. Thx.

ukxmrv

The people I know we saw him were tested for hormonal and cardiac issues in particular.

Good luck!

Application to see Dr Byron Hyde in limbo for more than a year

I am caring for a young adult with CFS who applied to be considered under Nightingale Research and did not receive any response after 3 months' wait. Rang the center and was told the costs of laboratory investigations would be more than $10,000. I told Dr Hyde that cost was not an issue as I recently received an insurance payout, more than enough to cover for tests and consultations. At that instant, his reaction became guarded and I was told to wait while he engages a medical student, whom I agreed to pay for his/her time, to calculate the total cost. I haven't heard from Dr Hyde since. Very puzzled and disappointed. Up to this day, the young adult is still waiting patiently for that elusive email, hoping that the exhaustive lab investigations would reveal some diagnosis which have been "missed" by primary healthcare doctors.

globalpilot

Is this person who paid $10000 from Canada ? I went about 10 years ago, had several tests done which he arranged as I sat in his office and they were all covered under our provincial health plan. I only paid for the time I spent with him which was $3-400 I believe.

If you still want to see him, call him, he answers the phone himself. I'm going again in January and have called several times. Sometimes you have to be a bit of a pest.

I am caring for a young adult with CFS who applied to be considered under Nightingale Research and did not receive any response after 3 months' wait. Rang the center and was told the costs of laboratory investigations would be more than $10,000. I told Dr Hyde that cost was not an issue as I recently received an insurance payout, more than enough to cover for tests and consultations. At that instant, his reaction became guarded and I was told to wait while he engages a medical student, whom I agreed to pay for his/her time, to calculate the total cost. I haven't heard from Dr Hyde since. Very puzzled and disappointed. Up to this day, the young adult is still waiting patiently for that elusive email, hoping that the exhaustive lab investigations would reveal some diagnosis which have been "missed" by primary healthcare doctors.

Nielk

Is this person who paid $10000 from Canada ? I went about 10 years ago, had several tests done which he arranged as I sat in his office and they were all covered under our provincial health plan. I only paid for the time I spent with him which was $3-400 I believe.

If you still want to see him, call him, he answers the phone himself. I'm going again in January and have called several times. Sometimes you have to be a bit of a pest.

globalpilot,

What was the outcome of the tests that he ordered? Did you find anything with him that you didn't know before? Why are you returning after 10 years? Has he helped you?

Thanks,
Nielk

globalpilot

My impression of Dr Hyde from what I've read and what he said to me is that he often finds people diagnosed with CFS have something else and that sometimes that something else becomes evident as time goes on. He reported one man diagnosed with CFS who visited teh washroom a large amount of times when he was there. It turns out he was diabetic and was undiagnosed.

So my reasons for going are twofold: One to rule out other conditions he tests for and to see if he can help in some way with my enterovirus infection. He beleives now that is the cause of ME (but not CFS he says).

The outcome of the tests: HIGH blood volume, don't have orthostatic intolerance, low CD4 , low CD8, some infections were ruled out by the infectious disease doctor he sent me too, no congestion in carotid artery. There was nothing treatable but just provides mroe clues as to what is going on.

globalpilot,

What was the outcome of the tests that he ordered? Did you find anything with him that you didn't know before? Why are you returning after 10 years? Has he helped you?

Thanks,
Nielk

Nielk

Thanks for your reply globalpilot. How were you diagnosed with the enterovirus and do you know how Dr. Hyde plans on treating it?
Good luck by the way.

globalpilot

The enterovirus was found by Dr Chia in my stomach biopsy. I don't think Dr Hyde actually treats. There are no treatments at the moment for enterovirus. Oxymatrien has some succuss according to Chia and I will be doing that.

Thanks for your reply globalpilot. How were you diagnosed with the enterovirus and do you know how Dr. Hyde plans on treating it?
Good luck by the way.

I don't live close to any of the known CFS doctors and have limited money. I'm thinking about doing the Skype consult with Byron Hyde. Have any of you done the consult or recommend it (him)? It's $400 for 2 hrs. so I don't want to make a hasty decision.

I had 2 of the series of 3 hepatitis b vaccines in 1994. I ended up in the hospital after the first vaccine, doc said it definitely wasnt from the vaccine, if he would have just called the lab where i had it, or the drug company, smith-kline beecham, or checked the physicians desk reference he would have realized that i was having a bad reaction to the vaccine. my whole left side went numb, lost vision in left eye, slurred speech, i was put in the hospital, they checked for stroke and ms, both negative. I did have a very high anti ana level, vascultis, and guilliane barre syndrome, menstrual cycle stopped. 2nd vaccine, anaphlyaxis, and a host of other problems, doctors in my small town of Lancaster PA, closed ranks because they knew that the first vaccine should have been a malpractice suit, and the 2nd vaccine malpractice with my dr and the nurse who gave me the 2nd shot, since she asked if i had been sick the month since my 1st vaccine, i told her yes, but she gave me the vaccine anyway. Long story short, couldnt find a doctor that would say it was from the vaccine except the doctor whos office i got it at. spent 3 years in bed, had to learn to read, write, speak sentences, etc again, had to have a complete hysterectomy due to the interference of the vaccine with my menstrual cycle, was on prednisone and antibiotics for years, put on 150 lbs, got cushings syndrome from the prednisone and also diabetes. My lawyer finally found doctor hyde through another doctor in boston, in the meantime i had to move to california to live by the ocean and its temperate climate to help my lungs which were greatly affected by the guilliane barre and then the asthma that i got from the vaccine. Doc Hyde was in Australia giving a lecture, when he was flying back to Ottawa, he stopped over in california and came to my house to see me, was there for a few hours, then said i will never be able to work again, had me get a spect scan at UCLA and PET scan at UC Irvine. Had to fly up to Berkeley to be tested by a Neuropsychologist, and my son and i flew to montreal for tests at hotel dieu, then on to ottawa to see dr hyde and another doctor. I found him to be nice at times and other times very impatient, he loved to talk about himself, he was his favorite person. On to court. My lawyer and doctor hyde decided to go for the Vaccine Injury Program started in 1986 by the US government, pushed upon them by the pharmaceutical companies, because they said they wouldnt make anymore vaccines because of lawsuits, so they told the government to set up this supposed unbiased vip (Vaccine Injury Program), to help folks with injuries do to vaccines, that is a bunch of bunk, they were also on the side of the pharmaceutical companies. My lawyer and Dr Hyde could have gone the malpractice route and product liability route, but they knew, unbeknownst to me, that even if we lost the case with the VIP, they would still get paid. So 12 hours of testifying, then listening to Dr Hyde talk about himself, we left Washington DC, i was in tears and had to spend the week in bed, because of being there so long. I get sick all of the time since the vaccine. Turns out I lost the VIP case, but oddly enough a few months later, a check came in the mail from the VIP, for 200,000 made out to me. I called my lawyer and he said that was for him and Dr Hyde, so im disabled for life, the two of them take the guaranteed money road for them, 60.000. US dollars went to Dr Hyde and 140,000. US went to my lawyer, and here i sit on Social Security Disability making less than 1000.00 a month. So fair warning to everyone who thinks that Dr Hyde is a saint, he isnt, he may have started doing research with good intentions, but then turned to the money side of things, at us injured folks cost. Would I recommend him, not on yours or my life! PS sorry about the typing errors, i still have a hard time doing things with the severe brain damage i have from the vaccine. I wish you all that are suffering the best and look for another doctor who isnt in it just for the money!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
If Dr. Hyde passed his money on to you, then he didn't really make any money. Maybe he and the lawyer thought that was the surest way of getting you at least a little money. Malpractice and product liability suits cost a lot of money and may not get you anything.

Dr Hyde didnt pass his money on to me. A check from the vaccine injury program was sent to me for 200,000.00. in my name, i had to in turn turn that check over to my lawyer so he could get paid and dr hyde could get paid. I dont know why they didnt just send the check to my lawyer in his name but thats how it was done. I asked my lawyer how much money went to Dr Hyde and how much went to the lawyer, my lawyer said Dr Hydes payment was 60,000. dollars and my lawyers was 140,000.00., and I didnt get any money from it, im sorry if i explained it incorrectly in my previous post.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Turns out I lost the VIP case, but oddly enough a few months later, a check came in the mail from the VIP, for 200,000 made out to me. I called my lawyer and he said that was for him and Dr Hyde, so im disabled for life, the two of them take the guaranteed money road for them, 60.000. US dollars went to Dr Hyde and 140,000. US went to my lawyer, and here i sit on Social Security Disability making less than 1000.00 a month.
That looks fairly clear. I think I read it as, "I called my lawyer and he said that was from him and Dr Hyde". Since the check was in your name, I thought they had had the decency to turn what little money that was awarded over to you. Silly me!